Wayland Releases Updated Fall Schedule
June 19, 2020
These Calendar Changes Affect Only the Plainview Campus
PLAINVIEW – Wayland Baptist University officials released an expanded calendar late Thursday afternoon showing more changes in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. On Wednesday, the university announced that it would begin the Fall 2020 semester a week earlier than originally planned. The new, updated information includes the full academic calendar for the fall semester.
In a statement to faculty, staff and students, the Wayland administration said the changes to the calendar are meant to minimize travel and the risk of exposure for all involved.
“The adjustments help us avoid the start of the traditional flu season when some experts predict a spike in COVID-19 cases,” the statement said. “This model is supported by prevailing research and best practices and aligns WBU with the prevalent fall schedule emerging nationwide in higher education.”
The updated calendar also includes schedules for athletes and education students participating in clinical teaching. These changes affect the Plainview campus only. The external campuses are not affected by this calendar.
Highlights from the Fall 2020 schedule:
- Aug. 7: Faculty/Staff development
- Aug. 7: Fall Sports Physicals (communicated by coaches)
- Aug. 8: Residence Halls open for Koinonia attendees
- Aug. 8-9: Koinonia
- Aug. 9: Dining hall opens
- Aug. 11: Clinical Teacher Orientation
- Aug. 11: Registration for returning students not pre-enrolled
- Aug. 12: Classes begin
- Aug. 14: Winter sports physicals
- Sept. 7: Classes will meet on Labor Day/offices open
- Oct. 2: Clinical teaching first rotation ends
- Oct. 5: Clinical teaching second rotation begins
- Oct. 9: Mid-term deficiency reports due
- Nov. 2: Pre-registration for spring term begins
- Nov. 20: Last day of fall term/Dining hall closes at 6 p.m.
- Nov. 23: Thanksgiving holiday begins for students
- Nov. 25-27: Thanksgiving holiday/offices closed
- Nov. 30- Dec. 7: Fall term final exams online
- Nov. 30: Clinical teaching second rotation ends
- Dec. 12: Graduation
The full schedule can be found online at www.wbu.edu/our-plan/extended-fall-dates