Live auction to highlight WBU gala
Release Date: February 27, 2009
PLAINVIEW – Organizers at Wayland Baptist University are putting the finishing touches on the planning stage of the school’s Centennial Gala. Celebrating 100 years of offering Christian higher education to the High Plains of Texas, Wayland is throwing a party on March 21 at the Plainview Country Club and Civic Center.
Wayland President Dr. and Mrs. Paul Armes will host the evening that will feature the big-band styling of the Glenn Miller Orchestra as well as a live auction full of items to attract nearly any bidder.
Highlighting the live auction is an original oil painting by Kenneth Wyatt entitled “House Call.” The brilliantly styled 30x40 canvas depicts Dr. James H. Wayland and his trusty team of horses as they make a house call to a homestead on the plains of West Texas near the turn of the century. Wyatt’s mastery of his craft is in full evidence in this original work valued at $6,000. Wyatt will also attend the event where autographed prints of the painting will be on sale for $150.
While Wyatt’s art will undoubtedly be the belle of the ball, generous individuals and organizations have donated several items that will surely be of interest to many people. The remaining auction items are:
- The Boss Hog Package – The is a two-man, 3-day, 2-night wild hog hunt donated by North American Outfitters in Gonzales, Texas. The outing includes meals, lodging and personal guide. This package is valued at $1,200.
- Fort Worth Fairways Package – This is a two-day golf outing for three that includes rounds at both the Colonial Country Club and Shady Oaks Country Club in Fort Worth. Chad English, a Plainview native and the head professional at Shady Oaks, will complete the foursome both days. This package also includes two nights lodging and dinner with the pro. It is valued at $2,000.
- The Ultimate Date Night Package – This round-trip flight for four is donated by local pilot Tim Hardage and Rocket Aviation. Tim and his wife, Stacie, will fly two other couples round trip to Colorado Springs for dinner at the only five diamond restaurant in Colorado. The Penrose Room at the famed Broadmoor Hotel Resort offers both fine dining and a panoramic view of the magnificent Cheyenne Mountains. This package is valued at $2,000.
- Diamonds are a Girl’s Best Friend Package – This elegant 1 carat diamond ring and coordinating pendant is sure to sparkle with sophisticated style. This package is valued at $7,200.
- Majestic Mountain Escape and Family Fun with a View Packages – These two trips will be auctioned off separately. These packages include a one-week stay in Angel Fire, N.M., at the Gold Dust Condos. The two-bedroom, fully equipped condo will accommodate four adults for seven days of rest and relaxation, making it a perfect summer of fall getaway. These packages are valued at $1,500 each.
- Hold the Salad Greens, Please Package – Imagine stocking your freezer with $1,000 worth of beef, donated by Cargill Meat Solutions. These steaks are sure to tempt any serious barbecue connoisseur.
- Big Screen Package – Enjoy your favorite television viewing on an HD TV donated by Ramsower’s Furniture. This is valued at $1,000.
- Celebrate the Magic Package – Celebrate the summer with a trip to Disneyland. World
Ventures is donating this trip. A value has not yet been placed on this trip as some
of the details are still being worked out.
The Centennial Gala is open to anyone who is interested in celebrating Wayland’s first 100 years. The fundraiser that includes dinner costs $100 per plate. For more information or to reserve your ticket, call Teresa Young at 291-3586.