Wayland organizations auctioning trees to light up the campus
PLAINVIEW – Want a great tree for Christmas but don’t have the time or the decorating skills to create one? Students at Wayland Baptist University have done the work for you and created 12 unique trees to be sold through a silent auction.
Decorated by various student organizations on campus, the trees are the project of the Council of Student Organizations, headed by WBU senior Kris Ann Jennings of Perryton. The proceeds from the auction will go toward lights to illuminate buildings on the Wayland campus during the holiday season. Currently, only Gates Hall and the McClung Center are lit, and students want to see the entire campus decorated for the holidays in future years.
Made with 6 ½-foot balsam hinged pre-lit trees, the creations will be available for viewing and bidding from Monday, Nov. 27 through Saturday, Dec. 2 on the second floor of McClung University Center. Room 205 will be open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. each of those days for a closer look at the trees and their decorations. Bidding will begin at $150 for the entire tree, and winning bidders will be notified on Saturday.
The trees are as follows:
- Sports theme: Decorated by Fellowship of Christian Athletes and Chi Alpha, the sports themed tree features ornaments reflecting various sports and will have a cap as a topper.
- Western theme: Decorated by Pi Sigma Sigma and American Chemical Society, the western tree features chili peppers, rope garland and other western ornaments with a cowboy hat as a topper.
- Bulldog theme: Decorated by Student Union Board, the Plainview Bulldog tree features bulldog ornaments, red and blue ribbons, pompoms, footballs and a teddy bear topper. The tree skirt is made from a PHS blanket.
- Nutcracker musical theme: Decorated by the International Choir and CMENC, the musical themed tree includes nutcrackers, instrument ornaments and red and gold accents.
- John Deere theme: Decorated by the Students in Free Enterprise team, this tree features miniature tractors, green and gold ornaments and green and gold ribbon accents.
- Snowflake theme: Decorated by Alpha Delta Kappa and Kappa Upsilon Chi, this tree features many snowflake ornaments in blue, white and silver accents.
- Americana theme: Decorated by Student Government Association and Senate, this tree features red, white and blue ornaments and both American and Texas flags as a topper and throughout the tree.
- Wayland traditions theme: Decorated by the Student Alumni Council, this tree features plenty of blue and gold and Wayland ornaments as well as ornaments depicting sports and heritage at WBU.
- Poinsettia theme: Decorated by the Baptist Student Ministries, this tree features plenty of maroon and gold classic-styled ornaments and maroon poinsettias tucked into the branches.
- Critter Hunters theme: Decorated by the Office of Student Activities, this tree features camouflage décor and ornaments depicting various animals in hunting gear, with a camo hat as a topper.
- Candy cane theme: Decorated by Student Foundation, this tree features swirls of red and white, candy canes and a fluffy red and white bow topper.
- Penguin theme: Decorated by SGA Class Officers, this tree features ornaments in blue
and white, penguin ornaments and white pearl accents.
For information on the tree auction, contact Nancy Keith at 291-3752.