Lifelong Learning Center enrolling for spring
The Lifelong Learning Center at Wayland Baptist University is enrolling now for its Office Technology Program and continuing education courses for the spring semester.
The following courses are being offered through the Office Technology Program:
- Business Communications: A review of basic grammar, comprehension and vocabulary skills, with emphasis on developing a proficiency in reading, writing and oral expressions used in the business environment. Cost: $325. Supplies needed are blue or black ink pens, pencils and typing paper and the textbooks "Business Communications" ($86) and "How 9" ($33.25). The class will meet on Thursdays from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Jan. 10 through April 25.
- Medical Terminology: An introduction to medical terms, the course will teach spelling, definition and correct pronunciation of terms most frequently used in any medical facility (doctor's office, hospital, clinic, etc.). Cost: $325. Supplied needed are pen and paper and the textbook "Medical Terminology" ($40.50). The class will meet on Tuesdays from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Jan. 8 through April 23.
- Microsoft Word 2000: Learn proficiency in current word-processing. The course is designed to meet the need to produce a variety of professional documents quickly and accurately and covers latest techniques, specific equipment operation and terminology. Includes practice in setting up business documents such as memos, letter and special documents like outlines and management reports. Cost: $325. Supplies needed include paper, blue or black ink pens, highlighter and four formatted 3.5" disks, and the textbook "Microsoft Word 2000 with CD" ($62.60). The class will meet on Mondays from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Jan. 7 through April 22.
The LLC will also offer the following continuing education courses for the spring:
- Church Weekday Education Conference: A one-day conference designed for individuals that work with young children in churches as well as public childcare facilities. Cost: $35. Conference is set for March 2 from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Conversational Spanish: A non-memorization, non-drill Spanish course in which language is created from what participants already know. The course teaches a basic command of the Spanish language and how to begin to think in Spanish as well as read, write and speak. Cost: $72. Dates are to be announced later.
- Defensive Driving: An approved course by the Texas Education Agency and the National Safety Council, the class may be used for ticket dismissal and insurance discount. Cost: $30. The course is offered one Saturday each month.
- Microsoft Word: The course is designed to meet the need to produce a variety of professional documents quickly and accurately and covers latest techniques, specific equipment operation and terminology. Includes practice in setting up business documents such as memos, letter and special documents like outlines and management reports. Cost: $105. Supplies needed are two 3.5" disks, pen and paper and the textbook "Microsoft Word 2000." The course will be offered on Fridays from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Jan. 25 through Feb. 22.
An intermediate and advanced version of the Microsoft Word course will also be offered after the beginning course has ended. The Intermediate will continue on Friday evenings from March 1 to April 5, and the advanced course will continue on Friday evenings from April 12 to May 3. Cost is $84 for each course.
For information about these or any other offerings, contact the Lifelong Learning Center at 291-3650 or visit the center at 708 Yonkers. Pre-registration is required due to limited space.