Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MYCAA)

Program Sponsor

Office of the Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Military Community & Family Policy (DUSD/MC&FP)

October 25, 2010 - MyCAA is open and the response is great!!! Due to heavy phone volume, you are encouraged to please use the MyCAA messaging system if you have a question and we will respond within 5 business days. All Education & Training Plans and Financial Assistance requests will be processed within 15 calendar days, in the order in which they are received and cannot be taken out of order. If additional information is needed to approve your plan, notification will be sent via your MyCAA Message Box. Be sure to check your Message Box regularly for information and notifications about your request. We thank you for your patience. The MyCAA program is open to all eligible spouses under the new program guidelines below:

 • Spouse of an active duty Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine service member, or activated Reserve member in pay grades E1-E5, W1-W2, or O1-O2.

 • If the spouse of National Guard and/or AGR member, the sponsor must be on federal Title 10 active duty orders as reported in DEERS.

 • Spouses of Guard/Reserve members in an Alert, Transition Assistance, or Post Deployment status are not eligible.

 • MyCAA accounts will be limited to the new $4,000 maximum benefit with a $2,000 fiscal year cap. Waivers to the fiscal year cap will be available for spouses pursuing licensure or credentials with a cost that exceeds the $2,000 fiscal year cap up to the total maximum assistance of $4,000.

 • Spouses must finish their program of study within three years from the start date of the first course.

 • Funding is limited to only Associate's degrees, certifications and licensure programs.

What MyCAA Pays For

MyCAA Financial Assistance (FA) pays for expenses such as education and training programs, tuition, licensing and credentialing fees. This includes degree programs (e.g. associates, bachelors, masters, doctoral and post doctoral), continuing education classes (including those offered through professional associations), Bar, CPA and other similar exams, state certifications for teachers, medical professionals and other licensed professionals. MyCAA does not pay for computers, school application fees, graduation or membership fees, student activity cards, child care, parking, transportation, or medical services. NOTE: If the cost of a course includes books, supplies or other necessary equipment, MyCAA will cover that cost. Payments are made directly to schools using the MyCAA’s electronic payment system. Referrals are made to federally funded English As A Second Language (ESL) Classes and GED Classes and Testing Programs.

How MyCAA Financial Assistance (FA) Works

A military spouse can apply for MyCAA Financial Assistance (FA) after completing a MyCAA Career and Training Plan.

  • A Career and Training Plan includes the spouse’s chosen career field, name of school and course information (course titles, codes, costs and start/end dates). If incorrect information is provided, the MyCAA Financial Assistance (FA) Request will be rejected during the school invoicing process. The spouse will then be responsible for paying course costs.
  • FA Requests are initiated each time the spouse adds specific course start/end dates when it is time to enroll in one or more courses included in the spouse’s Career and Training Plan.
    • It is critical that spouses select the correct school name/campus location and input correct course information into their Career and Training Plan to prevent billing problems. This information should be validated by school officials prior to the spouse applying for MyCAA Financial Assistance (FA).
    • Career and Training Plans may be edited (e.g. courses may be changed or dropped) up to ten days prior to the start date of a course. At that point, the Plan will be approved and locked for billing purposes to guarantee the spouse a seat in the class. Courses may be added up until 7 days past course start dates.
    • Data in the Career and Training Plan is used to validate school bills for payment purposes. Approved courses may be billed by the school at or below stated costs. Schools may charge penalty fees, partial or full course costs for dropped courses according to their published Drop/Add policies. Spouses need to be familiar with these school policies.
      A military spouse can apply for MyCAA Financial Assistance (FA) after completing a MyCAA Career and Training Plan.

How to Get Started

Eligible spouses can establish a MyCAA Account by visiting the MyCAA website ~ Setting up an account is an easy, self-help process. Once spouse profile information is provided, MyCAA will verify spouse eligibility. Spouses should check their eligibility and account status regularly as well as their MyCAA account message board for alerts from their account managers and guidance on next steps.

Spouses (even if you no longer qualify for the MyCAA program) that have had a MyCAA account can still access their course information by logging in into the MyCAA Web site. If information is needed on other sources of financial assistance please contact a Military OneSource consultant at 800-342-9647.