Application for VA/Military Connected Students

Application Process

1. Apply to Wayland
2. Pay or Waive Fee
3. Provide Academic and Military Transcripts: Must be sent to Wayland from the school you attended



Estimate Your Personal Cost

Try using our Net Price Calculator, our tuition cost calculator, to get a more personalized price and explore your financing options.

Use Net Price Calculator


College Credit for Work Experience

 How it Works 

Wayland offers 2 degree plans that recognizes 12 months of military work experience as credit for a 4-hour course referred to as Experiential Professional Development credit (EDP)

Degree Plans with EDP

BAS: Bachelor of Applied Science provides a seamless transition from technical fields to an appropriate baccalaureate program while enhancing the liberal arts component of the student's education.

BCM: Bachelor of Christian Ministry is a religion degree in Christian studies where a student can pursue a theological education that is accompanied with a minor or second major.


To qualify work experience for college credited EDP courses, the student must provide documentation from supervisor(s), such as an Evaluation Performance Review (EPR).

Method of Conversion:

12 months of work experience converts to one 4-hour EDP course. Please select the chart below to review the method of conversion: EDP Chart





Common Application Protocols

Wayland has a solid history of meeting the academic needs of VA and military affiliated students. Here are a few issues that students encounter while applying to Wayland: 

Often VA/military-connected students have multiple transcripts, be prepared to provide those. Students must provide a transcript from every school he/she has attended even if he/she has failed a class. There are many factors that can contribute to a poor transcript, and failing a class does not necessary mean that a student will not be accepted.
Students must request a transcript to be sent to Wayland from each school he/she has attended. Wayland cannot accept a transcript from the student; it must come from an institution. When you request a transcript, make sure it is sent to Wayland Baptist University and not yourself.   
A college or university will not release a transcript if a student has unresolved financial issues. If you cannot get a transcript, it is possible that you owe money and that account must be resolved before the transcript is released. A student cannot be admitted to any institution until that account is resolved.
If a student has been on academic probation or suspension within 5 years, that student will need to provide a letter to explain why he/she was put on probation or suspension and explain how the situation has changed to prevent the event from happening again. Life happens, and there are many events that could put a student on academic probation or suspension. We understand and would like to help you. The letter you write does’t have to be long, it just has to explain the situation.


Terminology Key

Many of Wayland’s students are first generation college students, and we are always ready to help with the shift into academic culture! Here are a few concepts and terms associated with the application process:  
An undergraduate degree is a 4-year program of the first level of higher education and can also be called a bachelor’s degree. A graduate program can also be called a master’s degree and is the second level of higher education. It builds off of an undergraduate degree and provides an academic avenue to specialize and/or pursue research in your field of interest.
One class averages 3 credit hours. A degree plan is the combined accumulation of class hours. If a degree plan, such as the BAS, requires 124 hours, you’ll take 41 classes at 3 hours each.
Courses within a degree plan are numbered between 1000-4000 for the undergraduate level and 5000 for the graduate level. 1000 & 2000 level classes are lower-level classes that are part of the basic classes, such as English, math, or sciences. 3000 & 4000 level classes are upper-level classes that are specific to a degree plan.
These are the basic classes every 4-year program needs as a foundation to build on and are classes at the 2400 level and below. They consist of English, math, science, history, and exercise courses. An undergraduate program usually requires 2 courses from each of these subjects.
Upper-level courses are the 3000-4000 level classes that are topics pertaining to the degree plan. A large portion of a degree requires students to acquire credit hours related to their area of study through classes that are specific to their major. The upper-level hours in a major are the credits you receive from classes specialized to your chosen degree plan.
Academic (university) are course hours that are junior/senior or upper level hours. These can be taken at WBU or transferred in from other four-year institutions.
These are hours applied to a degree plan can be earned through academic coursework, test, assess credit, or EDP.