We’d love to connect with you at one of the following upcoming events:
• April 13-20, 2018 - Week of Academic Excellence, Plainview. A time to reconnect on campus for alums of the Honors Program as well as any Wayland honor societies, all while celebrating the current academic success of our students. Join us for honor society inductions, receptions and research presentations during this week to spotlight the best and brightest students. See the Events page for details.
• May 5, 2018 - Plainview Graduation Celebration, Laney Activities Center, 3 p.m. following 2 p.m. ceremony. Food, music, photo booth and a chance to say one final goodbye to favorite faculty members.
• May 10, 2018 - Midland/Odessa Alumni Networking Event, Midland Country Club. Join us for an alumni networking event from 5-6:30 p.m., featuring Wayland president Dr. Bobby Hall, heavy hors d'oeuvres and plenty of time to meet local alums. The event is free, and RSVPs can be made to Teresa Young.
• June 16-23, 2018 – Alumni Mission Trip to Delta, Colo. We’ll join WBU alums Ronnie and Joel Arrington, church planters, in Delta for a week of block parties, outreach, relationship building and personal evangelism as they grow Church Without Walls in the city. Cost: $120 per person. Click here for more information. For more information, contact Teresa Young.
• Oct. 26-27, 2018 – Plainview Homecoming. Honor classes of 1958, 1968, 1978, 1988, 1998 and 2008 will be featured during a fun weekend of reconnecting, reminiscing and time with the Wayland family. Click here to nominate someone for Distinguished Alumni Awards on all 13 campuses. Schedule to be announced soon.
You can give back to Wayland from wherever you live by helping in the following ways:
• We are seeing help in recruiting students for our Texas Department of Criminal Justice scholarship as well as our new scholarship for law enforcement officers throughout the nation. Could you hand-deliver some brochures to local law enforcement entities and put in a good word for a Wayland education? We’ll supply you with all you need and send a small gift as our thanks. If you have ties to TDCJ facilities and could do the same, we’d appreciate the help.
• We always need to recruit for our traditional home campus in Plainview and our online and external campuses. Could you work a table at an education fair in your area or perhaps hand out brochures and give a brief plug for Wayland in your church youth group or the church as a whole? Our students come from all over the nation (really the world!) so wherever you are is a perfect place to recruit.
If you're interested in any of the above opportunities, email Teresa Young and we'll connect you with the right person, or call Teresa at 806-291-3600.
In our efforts to grow the reach of the Office of Alumni Relations and meet alums where they live, we hope to start Wayland Alumni Chapters across the country. An Alumni Chapter can be organized from the basic desire of several former Wayland students who wish to join together in a geographic area. A completed charter application serves primarily to help maintain clear communication with the organized groups to provide resources and support to group leadership.
There are only a few basic requirements for chapters: Have at least 10 alumni in the area; commit to meet at least twice annually, ideally with incorporation of the aspects of fellowship, sharing of current Wayland information and collective support for university initiatives; and have an appointed point person who keeps the group connected and is the liaison to the Office of Alumni Relations.
We have compiled a document of guidelines for chapters to follow which includes a chapter application and bylaws. View Alumni Chapter Guidelines.
Currently we have Alumni Chapters developing in the following areas: North Dallas, Lubbock, Fort Worth Area. Contact us if you want to get something started in your area or help with a new group.