We’d love to connect with you at one of our many networking events. These events take place throughout the year in some of the cities where we have campuses and others with a large concentration of alumni.
Cost and activities vary, but the overall format is the same: it's a great opportunity to meet other WBU alums who live near you, connect and learn what is happening across the Wayland system, learn how you can get involved and have FUN! For more details on all upcoming events, visit the Coming Events page.
You can give back to Wayland from wherever you live by helping in the following ways:
• We are seeking help in recruiting students for our Texas Department of Criminal Justice scholarship as well as our new scholarship for law enforcement officers throughout the nation. Could you hand-deliver some brochures to local law enforcement entities and put in a good word for a Wayland education? We’ll supply you with all you need and send a small gift as our thanks. If you have ties to TDCJ facilities and could do the same, we’d appreciate the help.
• We always need to recruit for our traditional home campus in Plainview and our online and external campuses. Could you work a table at an education fair in your area or perhaps hand out brochures and give a brief plug for Wayland in your church youth group or the church as a whole? Our students come from all over the nation (really the world!) so wherever you are is a perfect place to recruit.
If you're interested in any of the above opportunities, email Teresa Young or call the Alumni Office at 806-291-3600.
Alumni Career Networking
We recently partnered with the Office of Counseling and Career Services to provide an online portal for alumni and students to seek out opportunities for jobs and internships around the country and in a variety of fields. We can use your help in several ways:
- Post job openings from your place of employment and help other Wayland alums like you plug into good jobs. You know how great our alumni can be, and this helps your companies as well. There is no cost to employers to use this service; simply log on and set up an account and submit the information. We'll take it from there!
- Sign up for an account and use it to search out jobs for yourself if you happen to be in the job hunt (either now or down the road!) or are relocating to another part of the country. This portal provides an easy way to search for jobs by keywords or within radius of a city or zip code. There are jobs posted that have been submitted specifically to Wayland (see Search-My School's Jobs) or jobs that are part of a national job board connected to the College Central platform.
- Take advantage of the great resources on the website about updating resumes and cover letters, submitting portfolios, going to interviews and branding yourself. Information is updated regularly, so you can check back often for new tips. There are even podcasts on career and job search advice.
Ready to give it a whirl? Click here to get to the College Central network and begin using this valuable, free resource.
In our efforts to grow the reach of the Office of Alumni Relations and meet alums where they live, we hope to start Wayland Alumni Chapters across the country. An Alumni Chapter can be organized from the basic desire of several former Wayland students who wish to join together in a geographic area or by a shared interest or participation.
There are only a few basic requirements for chapters: Have at least 10 alumni in the area; commit to meet at least twice annually, ideally with incorporation of the aspects of fellowship, sharing of current Wayland information and collective support for university initiatives; and have an appointed point person who keeps the group connected and is the liaison to the Office of Alumni Relations.
Currently we have Alumni Chapters developing in the following areas: North Dallas, Lubbock, Albuquerque, Fort Worth Area and Midland. Contact us if you want to get something started in your area or help with a new group.
Nominate a Distinguished Alumnus
Our Distinguished Alumni Awards program recognizes alumni who have made an impact after graduation. Distinguished Alumni winners should make a distinctive contribution to their profession, serve in exemplary leadership roles in their community and/or demonstrate a strong loyalty to Wayland through service or giving. This honor is limited to graduates of Wayland, whether undergraduate or at the graduate level. There is a separate award for Young Alumni, which includes individuals who are 35 and under.
To nominate someone for a Distinguished Alumni Award, click here to access the form.