Special Circumstances Review
While financial aid is calculated based on family income from two years prior, we recognize that family circumstances may change unexpectedly, which can impact a family's ability to contribute towards educational expenses.
You may request a review of your family's special circumstances by completing the Special Circumstances Review Request form for the academic year impacted.
Generally, this review is for the purpose of decreasing a family's Expected Family Contribution (EFC) calculated using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which may result in increased eligibility for need-based grants and loans. If a student's EFC (before review) is $0, there can be no further adjustments that would result in additional financial aid eligibility.
Circumstances considered may include, but are not limited to:
- Significant loss in income due to loss of or change in employment
- One-time/non-recurring income
- Unreimbursed medical/disability expenses
- Change in marital status
Circumstances that will not be considered include, but are not limited to:
- Matching financial aid eligibility from other universities or colleges
- Student or parent(s) who does not wish to borrow to cover educational expenses
- Parent(s) refusal to contribute to educational expenses
- Parent(s) payment of student loans for older sibling
- Expenses such as credit card debt, wedding expenses, sports, enrichment activities, etc.