Return Of Financial Aid For Students Who Withdraw

Official Withdrawal

Withdrawing from the university is defined as “dropping all courses in which the student is currently enrolled.” Failure to file an official withdrawal request may result in grades of "F" for courses in progress. See the official University calendar for withdrawal deadlines.

Students enrolled at the Plainview campus must file an Official Withdrawal Request via email to the registrar’s office at ( no later than the last day to withdraw as indicated in the official university calendar.

Students enrolled at all other Wayland campuses and WBUonline must file an ADD/DROP Request form which must be signed by the external campus executive director/dean. Withdrawal emails and/or ADD/DROP Request forms, duly signed, must be submitted to the university registrar.

Unofficial Withdrawal

A student who fails all of his or her classes during the term in which federal aid was received is considered to have "unofficially withdrawn" for the purpose of financial aid eligibility. 

Return of Financial Aid Funds

When a student who was disbursed federal aid (or could have been disbursed federal aid) withdraws from WBU during a payment period (term), they are eligible to receive aid for the percentage of the period of enrollment which they attended WBU. When a student withdraws, WBU is required to determine how much Federal aid the student “earned” based on the date the student began the official withdrawal.

Likewise, for a student who has unofficially withdrawn, WBU is required to determine how much financial aid the student “earned” by using the last date of attendance (as reported by the instructors of each class) or the last date of attendance at an academically related activity (for online courses), whichever more accurately reflects the student’s withdrawal date.

  • WBU must return any amount of disbursed unearned Federal funds to appropriate program in the following order:
Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan
Federal Direct Subsidized Loan
Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan
Federal Direct PLUS Loan
Federal Pell Grants
Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant Program (FSEOG)
  • State Tuition Equalization Grant (TEG) guidelines require TEG to be reduced in accordance with the established institutional refund policy (outlined in the Academic Catalog).

Any student who completes at least 60% of of the payment period (term) is considered to have "earned" all of their financial aid for that term and no return of their aid is required.

Although WBU returns unearned financial aid to the Department of Education and the State on your behalf, you may still owe Wayland for any unpaid charges resulting from the required return of financial aid. 

We encourage you to visit with the Office of Financial Aid and the Business Office prior to making the decision to withdraw from the University.


Contact Information:
Office of Financial Aid
Wayland Baptist University
900 W. 7th, CMB 1266
Plainview, TX 79072
Office Hours:
M-T 8:15 AM-5PM
F 8:15 AM-4PM
Phone: 806-291-3520

For additional instructions for withdrawing from Wayland Baptist University (Total Class Withdrawals), you may contact:

Office of the Registrar

Wayland Baptist University 
1900 W. 7th CMB 1302
Plainview, TX 79072
M-TH 8:15 AM - 5:00 PM
F 8:15 AM - 4:00 PM
Phone: 806-291-3470
Fax: 806-291-1960