Pre-Veterinary Medicine Program
The Pre-Veterinary Medicine program is available at the following locations:
About this Program
To prepare students for a graduate degree in veterinary medicine, Wayland provides hands-on, experiential learning through a broadly based academic program with a strong emphasis in the physical and biological sciences and mathematics.
The pre-veterinary program ensures that Wayland students are among the most competitive and successful in gaining acceptance to professional schools. For some professional health programs, students must complete a bachelor’s degree in biology prior to applying, while others require only specific courses. Prerequisites for Veterinary Schools in Texas.
Students attending Wayland that plan on applying for veterinarian school should contact Dr. Andrew Kasner for advising. It is recommended that students major in Biology and maintain an overall GPA of 3.7 and 3.6 in science classes. Students should also plan to take the GRE during the spring of their junior year, work or volunteer in a veterinary clinic, and participate in undergraduate research.
- PHSC -- Pioneer Health Service Corps
- Provides medical mission opportunities to students.
- Offers students practice tests in their chosen pre-health fields.
- Encourages student involvement through community service projects.
- TAS -- Texas Academy of Science
- Promotes research and scholarly activities among students.
- Hosts an annual statewide meeting for active, university chapters.
- Encourages conservation and wildlife preservation through partnerships with local agencies.