About this Program
To prepare students for a graduate degree in optometry, Wayland provides hands-on, experiential learning through a broadly based academic program with a strong emphasis in the physical and biological sciences and mathematics.
The pre-optometry program ensures that Wayland students are among the most competitive and successful in gaining acceptance to professional schools. For some professional health programs, students must complete a bachelor’s degree in biology prior to applying, while others require only specific courses. Students should consult with graduate schools and professional programs to receive guidance concerning the academic requirements for entry into those programs.
- PHSC -- Pioneer Health Service Corps
- Provides medical mission opportunities to students.
- Offers students practice tests in their chosen pre-health fields.
- Encourages student involvement through community service projects.
- TAS -- Texas Academy of Science
- Promotes research and scholarly activities among students.
- Hosts an annual statewide meeting for active, university chapters.
- Encourages conservation and wildlife preservation through partnerships with local agencies.