About this Program
To prepare students for graduate degrees in medicine, Wayland provides hands-on, experiential learning through a broadly based academic program with a strong emphasis in the physical and biological sciences and mathematics.
The pre-medicine program ensures that Wayland students are among the most competitive and successful in gaining acceptance to professional schools. For some professional health programs, students must complete a bachelor’s degree in biology prior to applying, while others require only specific courses before applying. Prerequisites for Medical Schools in Texas
Students attending Wayland that are interested in applying for medical schools should see Dr. Adam Reinhart for advising. It is recommended that students major in Molecular Biology and minor in Chemistry and maintain an overall GPA of 3.65 (3.5 in science classes). Students should plan to take the MCAT during the spring of their junior year, work or volunteer in a medical clinic/hospital, and participate in undergraduate research. Students should also look too see if they qualify for the Joint Admission Medical Program.
- PHSC -- Pioneer Health Service Corps
- Provides medical mission opportunities to students.
- Offers students practice tests in their chosen pre-health fields.
- Encourages student involvement through community service projects.
- TAS -- Texas Academy of Science
- Promotes research and scholarly activities among students.
- Hosts an annual statewide meeting for active, university chapters.
- Encourages conservation and wildlife preservation through partnerships with local agencies.