The Pre-Medical, Dental program is available at the following locations:
About this Program
Wayland’s pre-dental program helps students gain skills needed for graduate courses
in medical school.
To prepare students for graduate studies in dentistry, Wayland provides students with hands-on, experiential learning through a broadly based academic program with a strong emphasis in the physical and biological sciences and mathematics.
The pre-dental program ensures that Wayland students are among the most competitive and successful in gaining acceptance to professional schools. For some professional health programs, students must complete a bachelor’s degree in biology prior to applying while for others only certain courses must be completed before applying to those programs. Prerequisites for Dental Schools in Texas.
Students attending Wayland that are interested in applying to dental school should see Dr. Adam Reinhart for advising. It is recommended for students to major in Molecular Biology and minor in Chemistry (at minimum you must complete 90 hours of coursework before applying, however a baccalaureate degree is considered highly desirable). Students must maintain a GPA of 3.5 and all required classes must be passed with a “C” or better. Students should plan to take the DAT during the spring of their junior year, work or volunteer in a dental office, and participate in undergraduate research.
- PHSC -- Pioneer Health Service Corps
- Provides medical mission opportunities to students.
- Offers students practice tests in their chosen pre-health fields.
- Encourages student involvement through community service projects.
- TAS -- Texas Academy of Science
- Promotes research and scholarly activities among students.
- Hosts an annual statewide meeting for active, university chapters.
- Encourages conservation and wildlife preservation through partnerships with local agencies.