Theatre (Grades Early Childhood - 12th), B.A.
The Bachelor of Arts in Education for All-Level Theatre is available at the following locations:
About this Program
The theatre education degree is an interdisciplinary program that requires study in both the School of Education and the School of Fine Arts, leading to a Texas state teaching certificate that qualifies holders to teach theatre classes in Early Childhood through 12th grade.
The theatre education program provides students opportunities to gain experience from tutoring or assistant teaching, as well as extensive training through field-based observation. To best prepare for a career in the classroom, theatre education majors often prepare and deliver unit presentations in class.
To help them fully embrace the interdisciplinary nature of the theatre education degree, majors enhance their learning experience through membership in the student organizations of both the School of Education and the School of Fine Arts.
Students seeking a bachelor of arts in theatre will complete 51 hours of upper-level study compiled from professional education courses like Principles and Practices in Education and field-specific studies such as Scene Design, Fundamentals of Play Directing, and Theatre History.
The Bachelor of Arts in Education for All-Level Theatre required 124 semester hours. Students must pass the state content area theatre test prior to clinical teaching. 36 semester hours of theatre are required.View Degree Plan
The School of Education has a highly qualified and experienced faculty.View Faculty
- Kappa Delta Pi is an active chapter of the national honor society for education students.
- Students take part in events such as workshops and conferences, books sales, and have access to grants and scholarships through the society.
- To qualify, students must maintain a 3.0 GPA and be an education major.
- Alpha Psi Omega is the national dramatic honors society which encourages student participation and excellence in theatre.
- Entry into Wayland’s Kappa Omega chapter requires a minimum GPA of 2.5, and a 3.0 in theatre courses, along with participation in theatre performances.
- Pre-School Teacher
- Elementary Teacher
- Middle School Teacher
- High School Teacher
- Private Drama Teacher
- Arts, Therapy
- Stage Manager
- Theatre Consultant