Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies, B.S.I.S. (Bachelor of Education)
The bachelor of education degree (termed the Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies or B.S.I.S.) equips graduates with field-based observation and interaction to help make them ready to teach upon graduating. Students seeking an education degree from Wayland will experience successful learning in small, highly personalized courses, led by experienced and enthusiastic faculty.
All coursework for the bachelor of education degree (B.S.I.S.) concentrates heavily on practical application of theories studied in the classroom. As a result, education degree seekers at Wayland develop excellent classroom management and leadership skills through valuable instruction, as well as from varied field experiences in the local school district.
The bachelor of education (B.S.I.S.) degree can be specialized to teach in elementary school, middle school, or high school, or with study in specific subject areas, it can lead to all-level certifications.
The B.S.I.S. required 124 semester hours. Instead of a major or minor, 36-38 hours must be from an approved interdisciplinary core of courses. 42 hours must be upper-level hours.
General Education Core Course Requirements
|Course Requirements||Course Hours|
|@ENGL 1301, 1302 and 3 hours from a literature course||9|
|HIST 1303, 1304, 2301, 2302||6|
|Pick One Course - ECON 2307, EDUC 2307, GEOG 1301, GEOG 1302, PHIL 1301, PSYC 1301, or Soci 1301||3|
|Pick One Course - ART 1301, ART 2302, MUSI 1301, MUSI 1303, MUSI 3302, MUSI 3305, MUSI 3306, MUSI 3307, THEA 1303, FINAR 2401||3|
|**Math 1304 or higher||3|
|Science - Laboratory Science||4|
|COMS 1301,1303, 2302, 2303||3|
|*RLGN 1301 or 1303 and 1302 or 1304||6|
*Wayland Baptist University will not accept RLGN 1301, Old Testament History, or RLGN 1302, New Testament History, or their equivalents, from any institution except other Baptist universities. In no case will either of these two courses be accepted if they were taken by correspondence. The School of Religion & Philosophy must approve any exception to this policy.
**Remedial level courses may not be used to fulfill the mathematics requirement. Equivalents to MATH 1300 or above may be used.
@Must be taken within first year of enrollment.
Degrees & Certifications
- Associates of Applied Science
- Bachelor of Applied Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Christian Ministry
- Bachelor of Fine Arts
- Bachelor of Music
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of General Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Christian Ministry, Children's Ministry Specialization, C.O.C.M.
- Christian Ministry, Educational Ministry Specialization, C.O.C.M.
- Christian Ministry, Pastoral Ministry Specialization, C.O.C.M.
- Christian Ministry, Youth Ministry Specialization, C.O.C.M.
- Pre-Athletic Trainer
- Pre-Christian Counseling Track in Religion
- Pre-Christian Counseling Track in Religious Education
- Pre-Medical Technology
- Pre-Medical, Dental
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Pre-Seminary Track for the Master of Divinity Degree
- Pre-Veterinary Medicine