Bachelor of Music, B.M.
About this Program
The Bachelor of Music provides students with skills, knowledge of, and experiences within the field of professional music. Students seeking an undergraduate degree in music from Wayland are immersed in the rigors of solo and ensemble musical performance, as well as modern and historical music studies. Faculty in this degree program foster new passion and inspiration in students, as they work toward real world career opportunities.
All coursework for the Bachelor of Music degree concentrates heavily on thorough exposure and experience in field specific areas.
Wayland provides students with opportunities to experience diversity, establish strong relationship-building skills, and develop an enlightened perspective through travel and study abroad programs, as well as expertly designed courses. As a result, Bachelor of Music recipients graduate from Wayland well prepared to enter graduate studies programs, or to go to work in their fields.
The Bachelor of Music degree encompasses both the music education and music performance majors, which each offering various specializations tailored to prepare graduates for successful music careers.
The Bachelor of Music Degree requires a 129 semester hours. 42 semester hours must be upper-level courses. No minor is required with this degree because of the intensive professional preparation for students who plan to make music their career. The University Core Course are required with a few additional courses.
- MUSI 3302 Music Technology
- Science (life or physical science -whichever not fulfilled by the core) 4 hours
General Education Core Course Requirements
|Course Requirements||Course Hours|
|@ENGL 1301, 1302 and 3 hours from a literature course||9|
|HIST 1303, 1304, 2301, 2302||6|
|Pick One Course - ECON 2307, EDUC 2307, GEOG 1301, GEOG 1302, PHIL 1301, PSYC 1301, or Soci 1301||3|
|Pick One Course - ART 1301, ART 2302, MUSI 1301, MUSI 1303, MUSI 3302, MUSI 3305, MUSI 3306, MUSI 3307, THEA 1303, FINAR 2401||3|
|**Math 1304 or higher||3|
|Science - Laboratory Science||4|
|COMS 1301,1303, 2302, 2303||3|
|*RLGN 1301 or 1303 and 1302 or 1304||6|
*Wayland Baptist University will not accept RLGN 1301, Old Testament History, or RLGN 1302, New Testament History, or their equivalents, from any institution except other Baptist universities. In no case will either of these two courses be accepted if they were taken by correspondence. The School of Religion & Philosophy must approve any exception to this policy.
**Remedial level courses may not be used to fulfill the mathematics requirement. Equivalents to MATH 1300 or above may be used.
@Must be taken within first year of enrollment.
Degrees & Certifications
- Associates of Applied Science
- Bachelor of Applied Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Christian Ministry
- Bachelor of Fine Arts
- Bachelor of Music
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of General Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Christian Ministry, Children's Ministry Specialization, C.O.C.M.
- Christian Ministry, Educational Ministry Specialization, C.O.C.M.
- Christian Ministry, Pastoral Ministry Specialization, C.O.C.M.
- Christian Ministry, Youth Ministry Specialization, C.O.C.M.
- Pre-Athletic Trainer
- Pre-Christian Counseling Track in Religion
- Pre-Christian Counseling Track in Religious Education
- Pre-Medical Technology
- Pre-Medical, Dental
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Pre-Seminary Track for the Master of Divinity Degree
- Pre-Veterinary Medicine