S941 Reference/Distance Services Librarian
LOCATION: Wayland Baptist University (WBU) – Plainview Campus
DEPARTMENT: Mabee Learning Resources Center (LRC)
SUPERVISED BY: Director of the Library
POSITION CLASSIFICATION: Exempt - Teacher
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: Student Workers
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: The Reference/Distance Services Librarian is responsible for assessing and articulating goals and needs for external campus patrons. The individual in this position will work with other library staff to provide library materials and service to students and faculty at external campuses, and will provide reference services to patrons from all campuses. He or she will fill in as needed in absence of other librarians. This position is based on a twelve (12) month contract.
SPECIFIC TASKS AND DUTIES:
- Assess and articulate electronic and traditional library resource needs of the distance learning community and the services provided them, including instruction.
- Assess the availability, appropriateness, use, goals, and objectives of existing library support for distance learning. Involve the distance learning community in this evaluation.
- Promote the incorporation of the distance learning goals and objectives into those of the library and of the originating institution as a whole, and make recommendations as necessary.
- Ensure that regional and other accreditation agency requirements are met and provide written documentation describing this adherence.
- Develop methods of providing library materials and services from the main library to the distance learning community.
- Supervise and ensure prompt delivery of materials and documents requested by distance library users under fair-use and copyright laws. Promote/provide alternative methods of acquiring resources when necessary.
- Provide traditional and emerging reference and bibliographic instruction services and resources to all Wayland patrons.
- Create online tutorials for students.
- Serve on faculty and university committees.
- Share weekend/evening hours with other librarians.
- Provide bibliographic instruction to patrons
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Assist in other library duties as needed.
The above statements are not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this job. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by Director of the Library and Collection Development Librarian.
Master’s Degree in Library Science or Information Studies or equivalent from ALA accredited program.
Experience and Knowledge:
- Experience with delivery of library instruction in a variety of settings.
- Knowledge and experience in providing print and electronic reference services.
- Knowledge and experience with standard desktop computing applications, the Internet, web publishing and bibliographic databases.
- Knowledge and experience with Blackboard.
Skills and Abilities:
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to deal effectively and tactfully with students, faculty, staff and others.
- Computer proficiency with programs such as Word, Excel, Access, library automation, e.g. Sirsi.
- Exhibit skillful, pleasant, and tactful manner in receiving telephone calls and meeting students, employees and visitors.
- Work independently, receiving minimum supervision and guidance on established procedures.
- Able to acquire a thorough working knowledge of policies and procedures.
- Ability to use administrative reporting channels appropriately.
- Anticipate problems and use sound judgment and tact in handling confidential matters.
Physical Demands & Working Conditions:
- Ability to lift and carry up to 20 lbs. of boxed books.
- Ability to travel to other campuses as necessary.
- Extended desk and computer work may be required.
- Work areas are well lighted, ventilated, heated and air-conditioned.
- Other physical demands may be necessary as required by duties listed above.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Employment is subject to an introductory period to monitor employee performance. If hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of hire date to establish their identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Employee must be able and willing to travel and teach at external campuses. Must be able to operate a licensed motor vehicle, have access to a dependable motor vehicle, and possess a valid state driver’s license. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driver’s record.
Wayland Baptist University does not unlawfully discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic.