S932 Associate Academic Advisor and Student Services - Amarillo
LOCATION: Wayland Baptist University (WBU) – Amarillo Campus
SUPERVISED BY: Campus Dean
POSITION CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: Provides personal assistance and information to students as they enter the Amarillo Campus. Greets students and visitors in a friendly and professional manner. Answers phone calls and routes calls to appropriate staff members as needed. Orders necessary campus supplies and merchandise. Receives, stores, and issues merchandise and faculty mail. Stocks shelves, racks, cases, bins, and tables with merchandise and arranges merchandise displays to attract customers. Periodically takes physical count of stock and marks merchandise. Assists with registrations and with graduations.
SPECIFIC TASKS AND DUTIES:
- Establishes and maintains effective interpersonal relationships with students, supervisor and co-workers.
- Greets students, prospective students and visitors professionally and courteously. Responds to inquiries, provides requested information when possible and refers to appropriate staff persons.
- Takes incoming phone calls, assists with information if able and routes to appropriate staff persons.
- Coordinates with the Plainview campus bookstore for ebooks for courses offered on the Amarillo Campus as well as Virtual Campus.
- Performs support for registration and graduation
- Maintains information files and processes paperwork.
- Processes incoming and outgoing mail.
- Monitors inventory, obtains replacement inventory and stocks items in the student lounge.
- Acts as first back up of Business Office functions.
- Assists the campus dean and backs up the office staff to meet the needs of the Amarillo Campus.
The above statements are not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this job. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by their supervisor.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Bachelor Degree preferred.
Experience and Knowledge:
- Retail Experience preferred.
- Experience in Inventories.
- Basic math skills.
- Basic working knowledge of MS Office to include Word and Excel.
- Ability to use UPS tracking system on the web.
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing and managing files and records.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
Skills and Abilities:
- Service Orientation - Actively looks for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Extent Flexibility - The ability to bend, stretch, twist, or reach with your body, arms, and/or legs.
- Manual Dexterity - The ability to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects.
- Static Strength - The ability to exert maximum muscle force to lift, push, pull, or carry objects.
- Number Facility - The ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly and correctly.
- Information Ordering - The ability to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern according to a specific rule or set of rules (e.g., patterns of numbers, letters, words, pictures, mathematical operations).
- Category Flexibility - The ability to generate or use different sets of rules for combining or grouping things in different ways.
- Near Vision - The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Able to follow directions from supervisor
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Employment is subject to a introductory period to monitor employee performance. If hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of hire date to establish their identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Naturalization Services. Employee must be able to travel. Must be able to operate a licensed motor vehicle, have access to a dependable motor vehicle, and possess a valid state drivers license. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driver’s record.
If requested, reasonable accommodations will be made for persons with disabilities for any part of the employment process in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.