S929 Digital Humanities Specialist
LOCATION: Wayland Baptist University (WBU) – Plainview Campus (possible remote/
DEPARTMENT: Academic Affairs
SUPERVISED BY: Vice President of Academic Affairs
POSITION CLASSIFICATION: exempt
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: Pending funding of an NEH CARES grant, the new, full-time Digital Humanities (DH) Specialist will assist the Director of WBUonline in the online training of humanities professors and will also work with the Vice President of Academic Affairs to lead humanities faculty toward a better understanding of DH in an effort to encourage inclusive and connected growth in the humanities.
SPECIFIC TASKS AND DUTIES:
- Assist the Director of WBUonline in training humanities professors to use various digital technologies to create engaging classrooms and collaborative learning in humanities courses
- Introduce humanities faculty to DH as a discipline, acquainting them with knowledge about the tools, methods, and theoretical issues central to this emerging field
- Work with the VPAA, Faculty Mentors, and humanities faculty to strengthen current humanities coursework through the addition of digital components
- Work with humanities faculty to develop at least one new DH course
- Train humanities faculty/staff to use Blackboard at a more advanced level
- Meet with faculty or university committees directly related to DH as needed
- Support the goals and objectives of the NEH CARES Grant and the University as a whole
The above statements are not a complete list of responsibilities, tasks, and duties performed by employees in this position. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- Minimum of a Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education
- Preferably a master’s degree in DH, but degrees in related humanities fields such as English, History, Philosophy, Religion, etc. will be considered if the individual demonstrates robust experience and interest in using and promoting DH
Experience and Knowledge
Successful applicants will demonstrate the following:
- Successful completion of coursework in, or direct previous experience with, DH in a university setting
- Recent success teaching DH courses at a college or university
- Recent experience teaching humanities courses online, preferably with or through Blackboard
- Experience working collegially with college or university faculty and staff in various capacities
Skills and Abilities
Successful applicants will have the following:
- Fluency in the English language with excellent writing and speaking skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and responsibilities with little direct supervision
- Proficiency with computers, technology, and related educational/teaching equipment, specifically Blackboard
- Skilled in and able to familiarize faculty with many of the following: text analysis, data and text mining, visualization, modeling and simulation, geospatial analysis and mapping, multi-media storytelling, information design, and related DH tools
- A commitment to and an agreement with the purposes and philosophy of Christian higher education as promoted by the Baptist General Convention of Texas in general and Wayland Baptist University in particular
- Endorsement by the Vice President of Academic Affairs
- Able to pass Background Checks
Wayland Baptist University is a four-year liberal arts university. The institution is affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. The Wayland Baptist University System is comprised of the Plainview campus, which is predominately a residential campus, twelve external campuses, and WBUonline, all offering courses in a broad range of academic areas.
Interested individuals MUST submit the following information:
- Completed University Application of Employment with Faith Statement consistent with Wayland's Christian mission https://www.wbu.edu/about/employment/documents/Application-for-employment-addition.pdf
- Curriculum vitae with cover letter
- Names and contact information for three professional references
- Copies of transcripts for all graduate academic work
Submit application materials electronically or in hard copy form to:
Elizabeth Hudspeth, Interim Director of Human Resources
Wayland Baptist University
1900 W. 7th Street, CMB #1274
Plainview, TX 79072
Phone: (806) 291-3451
Fax: (806) 291-1981
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
The position will begin as soon as NEH funding is available, but no later than July 1, 2020. Though initially a contract position, if the DH specialist demonstrates successful progress in summer and fall of 2020, s/he may have the option to continue work into 2021 and beyond. The DH specialist will be primarily supervised by the VPAA, but will work closely with the Director of WBUonline.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Employment is subject to an introductory period to monitor employee performance. If hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of hire date to establish his or her identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Employee must be able and willing to travel. Must be able to operate a licensed motor vehicle, have access to a dependable motor vehicle, and possess a valid state driver’s license. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driver’s record.
If requested, reasonable accommodations will be made for persons with disabilities for any part of the employment process in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
Wayland Baptist University does not unlawfully discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic. Under federal law, the university may discriminate on the basis of religion in order to fulfill its mission and purposes.