Records Secretary - S908
POSTING DATE: August 8, 2019
LOCATION: Wayland Baptist University - San Antonio Campus
SUPERVISED BY: Records Manager
POSITION CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: The Records Secretary provides clerical or administrative support activities to fulfill the Records Section operations. Verifies completeness and accuracy of work, computations, and records. Interacts with coordinates, or performs activities associated with correspondence with the Plainview campus. Consults with supervisor and other personnel to resolve problems, such as equipment performance, output quality, and work schedules. Provides related services to students and staff. Files records, correspondence, cards, invoices, receipts, and other records in alphabetical or numerical order or according to the filing system used. Locates and removes material from file when requested. Returns material to file upon completion. Reviews folders and other files to determine proper order of materials and re-files according to File Order Procedures.
SPECIFIC TASKS AND DUTIES:
1. Establishes and maintains interpersonal relationships with co-workers and students.
2. Maintains information files and processes paperwork.
3. Organizes, plans and prioritizes work to meet specific goals.
4. Documents and records information through data entry, transcribing, recording, storing, or maintaining information in written or electronic form.
5. Answers telephone and provides information/assistance.
6. Sorts or classifies information, according to content, purpose, user criteria, or chronological, alphabetical, or numerical order.
7. Locates and retrieves files upon request from authorized users.
8. Places materials into storage receptacles, such as file cabinets, boxes, bins, or drawers, according to classification and identification information.
9. Removes or destroys out dated materials in accordance with file maintenance schedules or legal requirements.
10. Scans or reads incoming materials to determine filing order or location.
11. Assigns and records or stamps identification numbers or codes to index materials for filing.
12. Inspects or examines materials or files for accuracy, legibility, or damage.
13. Inserts additional data on file records (i.e. telephone numbers, address changes, etc.).
14. Authorizes or documents materials movement, using logbook or computer and traces missing files.
15. Makes copies of data and records, using photocopying equipment.
16. Faxes materials as required and within the policies regarding privacy and confidentiality.
17. Maintains file security and adheres to policies regarding privacy and release of sensitive information.
18. Communicates effectively with supervisors and peers – provides information to supervisors and co-workers by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person
19. Performs necessary support for registration and graduation.
20. Works in a cross-functional team capacity to develop, coordinate and implement the registration schedule and process.
The above statements are not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this job. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by the Records Manager.
Education, Certification and License:
1. High School Diploma or GED required with emphasis on office management/office skills desired.
2. Bachelor’s degree in business or related skills highly desired.
Experience and Knowledge:
1. Experience in a university administration setting, preferably student records office or registrar office.
2. A deep commitment to Christian Higher Education and agreement with the purposes and philosophy of higher education as promoted by the Baptist General Convention of Texas in general and WBU in particular.
3. An understanding of and commitment to work with educational programs related to churches, businesses, industries, and the military.
Skills and Abilities:
1. Must possess good computer skills with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint experience.
2. Must possess a working knowledge of the University Power Campus program
3. Must possess good verbal and written skills plus good listening skills.
4. Must be detail-oriented and have good organizational skills.
5. Ability to understand and interpret personnel policies and procedures.
6. Ability to be flexible, prioritize and available to work extended hours as needed.
7. Ability to follow directions and work cooperatively with others
8. Service orientation – actively looks for ways to help people and solve their problems.
The University: Wayland Baptist University is a four-year liberal arts university. The institution is affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. The Wayland Baptist University System is comprised of the Plainview campus, which is predominately a residential campus, twelve external campuses, and the WBUonline offering courses in a broad range of academic areas.
Learn About Us: Candidates are encouraged to learn more at About Wayland.
Application Procedure: Applications may be submitted by downloading it from the top of this web page by clicking on Application for Employment.
Interested individuals MUST submit the following information:
1. Letter of Interest
2. Completed University Application of Employment with Faith Statement (Link to Application Below):https://www.wbu.edu/about/employment/documents/Application-for-employment-addition.pdf
3. Current Resume
4. List of Current References
Please send this information to:
Ron Appling, Director of Human Resources
Wayland Baptist University
1900 W. 7th Street, CMB #1274
Plainview, TX 79072
Phone: (806) 291-3451
Fax: (806) 291-1981
Application Deadline: Position will remain open until filled
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: Employment is subject to an introductory period to monitor employee performance. If hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of hire date to establish their identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Employee must be able and willing to travel. Must be able to operate a licensed motor vehicle and possess a valid state driver’s license or have access to reliable transportation. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driver’s record.
Wayland Baptist University does not illegally discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or genetic information. Under federal law, the university may discriminate on the basis of religion in order to fulfill its mission and purposes.