Head Coach of Esports Program (S894)
LOCATION: Wayland Baptist University (WBU) – Plainview Campus
DEPARTMENT/OFFICE: Intercollegiate Athletics
SUPERVISED BY: Director of Athletics and Esports Sponsor
POSITION CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt (Part-Time)
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: The Head Coach of Esports Program develops and coaches the College Esports program on the WBU Plainview Campus. This person should be student development minded and be prepared to interact with students on a daily basis. The commitment of the Esports program is to enhance the student experience and to provide quality programs that are competitive, fun and meaningful in an atmosphere that promotes success within the spirit of fair play, sportsmanship and integrity.
SPECIFIC TASKS AND DUTIES:
- Continually develop a program that has a main focus on academic success while also enhancing student skills in sportsmanship, communication, accountability, respect, character and team work.
- Administer program’s recruitment. Individual will be expected to manage program’s budget both effectively and responsibly.
- Develop and administer program policies which share institutional values and philosophy.
- Purchase equipment and supplies for short term and long term objectives of the program; maintain appropriate inventory.
- Prepare, maintain and accurately schedule facilities for practices, games and meetings in collaboration with other departments and staff members.
- Develop a marketing strategy for the program through diverse methods which include but is not limited to website maintenance, social media, and media team development.
- Build a positive reputation on campus and throughout the nation for WBU Esports and promote the legitimacy of the sport
- Continually grow knowledge of the diverse and ever-changing field of Esports. This person will be expected to be able to coach several different teams from within the Esports program
- Be available for secondary assignments which promote the success of the entire University and Athletic department.
- Be instrumental in leading team members to attain Christian growth and high ethical and moral standards.
- Adhere to all policies and procedures of the NAIA, the Sooner Athletic Conference and WBU.
The above statements are not a complete list of responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this position. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics and Esports Sponsor.
Education, Certification and License:
Bachelor’s Degree in a closely related field is preferred.
Experience and Knowledge:
- Experience in Esports and gaming is required.
- Collegiate coaching experience in Esports and gaming is preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must be flexible with their allotted hours and capable of scheduling practices and games around student class schedules.
- Head Coach may have other responsibilities & obligations. However, he or she must make the Esports program, as well as those of the students and recruits, an extremely high priority.
- Display consistent and punctual attendance.
- Possess strong skills in communication, relationship building, programming implementation, and resource management.
The University: Wayland Baptist University is a four-year liberal arts university. The institution is affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. The Wayland Baptist University System is comprised of the Plainview campus, which is predominately a residential campus, twelve external campuses, and the WBUonline offering courses in a broad range of academic areas.
Learn About Us: Candidates are encouraged to learn more at About Wayland.
Application Procedure: Applications may be submitted online or you may download it from the top of this web page by clicking on Application for Employment.
Interested individuals MUST submit the following information:
1. Letter of Interest
2. Completed University Application of Employment with Faith Statement (Link to Application Below): https://www2.wbu.edu/jobapp/empapp.aspx
3. Current Resume
4. List of Current References
Please send this information to:
Ron Appling, Director of Human Resources
Wayland Baptist University
1900 W. 7th Street, CMB #1274
Plainview, TX 79072
Phone: (806) 291-3451
Fax: (806) 291-1981
Application Deadline: Position will remain open until June 3, 2019 at 5:00 pm
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: Employment is subject to an introductory period to monitor employee performance. If hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of hire date to establish their identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Employee must be able and willing to travel. Must be able to operate a licensed motor vehicle and possess a valid state driver’s license or have access to reliable transportation. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driver’s record.
Wayland Baptist University does not illegally discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or genetic information. Under federal law, the university may discriminate on the basis of religion in order to fulfill its mission and purposes.