Academic Advisor - Undergraduate - Education (S892)
LOCATION: Wayland Baptist University - Lubbock Campus
SUPERVISED BY: Assistant Campus Dean
POSITION CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: The Academic Advisor provides personal assistance to education students regarding degree plan and program requirements. Obtains information from all relevant sources. Analyzes information provided by students to evaluate and help students choose the best academic program option. Translates or explains information on degree plan requirements and school policies. Communicates with people outside the organization, representing the organization to customers, the public, government, and other external sources. This information can be exchanged in person, in writing, or by telephone or e-mail. Provides guidance and expert advice on degree plans and policies and procedures to management or other groups on technical, systems, or process related topics.
SPECIFIC TASKS AND DUTIES:
1. Advises students and prospective students to help them understand their educational options.
2. Prepares tentative degree plans in a timely manner and provides accurate information.
3. Assists in registering students by placing students in courses which match degree plan requirements.
4. Assists in identifying students who are eligible to graduate and provides graduation requirements to students who are not ready to graduate.
5. Monitors student degree plans, corrects mistakes and assists students in identifying the sequence of courses required for the degree.
6. Advises students regarding educational issues such as course and program selection, class scheduling, school adjustment, study habits, and career planning.
7. Addresses community groups, faculty, and staff members to explain available services.
8. Assesses needs for assistance such as financial aid or additional education, and refers students to appropriate services.
9. Compiles and studies occupational, educational, and economic information to assist students in determining educational objectives.
10. Works closely with the Undergraduate Programs Office, Registrar’s Office, Admissions Office, Finance Office, and other appropriate departments to answer questions and resolve student issues.
11. Enforces all administration policies and rules governing students.
12. Resolves problems as they arise or recommends how problems can be resolved by working closely with the Campus Dean and Assistant Dean.
13. Assists with development and implementation of policies and procedures designed to ensure that the campus and University fulfills its mission.
14. Assists in campus graduations and registrations.
15. Assists with student recruiting as required.
16. Demonstrate commitment to the mission of the university.
The above statements are not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this job. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by the Director for the Institute for Professional Development.
Education, Certification and License:
1. Bachelors Degree in related field required.
2. Masters Degree preferred.
Experience & Knowledge:
1. Experience advising students in an academic setting preferred.
2. Experience in a customer service setting required.
3. Knowledge of resources needed to complete university degrees.
4. An in-depth understanding of, and commitment to, the “team” and “servant leadership” concepts.
5. Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for academic and career advising and guidance.
6. Knowledge of academic degree plans and requirements.
Skills & Abilities:
1. Ability to communicate information effectively, both verbally and in writing.
2. Excellent listening skills.
3. Ability to actively look for ways to help people.
4. Excellent critical thinking skills using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
5. Proficiency in computer applications, specifically Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
6. The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
Must be able to pass required Background Checks, which may include a Credit Check.
The University: Wayland Baptist University is a four-year liberal arts university. The institution is affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. The Wayland Baptist University System is comprised of the Plainview campus, which is predominately a residential campus, twelve external campuses, and the WBUonline offering courses in a broad range of academic areas.
Learn About Us: Candidates are encouraged to learn more at About Wayland.
Application Procedure: Applications may be submitted by downloading it from the top of this web page by clicking on Application for Employment.
Interested individuals MUST submit the following information: 1. Letter of Interest
2. Completed University Application of Employment with Faith Statement (Link to Application Below): https://www.wbu.edu/about/employment/documents/Application-for-employment-addition.pdf
Please send this information to:
Ron Appling, Director of Human Resources
Wayland Baptist University
1900 W. 7th Street, CMB #1274
Plainview, TX 79072
Phone: (806) 291-3451
Fax: (806) 291-1981
Application Deadline: Position will remain open until closed
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: Employment is subject to an introductory period to monitor employee performance. If hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of hire date to establish their identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Employee must be able and willing to travel. Must be able to operate a licensed motor vehicle and possess a valid state driver’s license or have access to reliable transportation. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driver’s record.
Wayland Baptist University does not illegally discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or genetic information. Under federal law, the university may discriminate on the basis of religion in order to fulfill its mission and purposes.