Computer Programmer (Information Technology)
Posting Date: June 14, 2018
Location: Wayland Baptist University - Plainview Campus
Supervised By: Director of Information Technology & Telecommunication Services
Position Classification: Exempt (Computer)
Position Supervised: None
General Responsibilities: The Computer Programmer is generally responsible for writing computer code, maintaining, testing and improving software applications for use by the university, staff, faculty and students.
Specific Tasks and Duties:
1. Evaluate software applications used by the university to make sure they operate
efficiently. Suggest improvements, additions or modifications needed
2. Write programming code in the appropriate languages needed to create software applications as requested by the Director of Information Technology Services and/or end users
3. Assist the I.T. Staff and Webmaster in moving, copying, uploading, or other data services that may be required to make the data systems of the university work efficiently
4. Evaluate user needs and design and create software applications to meet those needs. Review and analyze system specifications to determine whether all required elements have been included Consult with users and I.T. Team members to gather information about program needs, objectives, functions, features, and input and output requirements
5. Design, develop, document, analyze, create, test, debug and/or modify computer systems or programs, including prototypes, based on and related to user or system design specifications
6. Document applications carefully and work closely with other WBU programmer(s) so applications can be easily supported by other programmer(s) in the I.T. department and other I.T. Team members
7. Incorporate the use of well-named variables, functions, and helpful comments within application code to summarize the purpose/function of a particular block of code to assist other programmer(s) in the I.T. department with supporting, analyzing, maintaining and modifying applications
8. Create an external listing documentation of pathnames to each application's source code and local user/server destinations, along with any special compilation instructions
9. Modify existing programs to conform to system changes, upgrades or to make improvements in the existing program
10. Analyze, define, and document requirements for data, workflow, logical processes, hardware and operating system environment, interfaces with other systems, internal and external checks and controls, and outputs for programs written for the university or for users of the university network
11. Participate with other I.T. staff in long and short range technology planning and implementing of I.T.. services and programs for WBU users within budgetary guidelines
12. Work with the Director of Information Technology and other I.T. team members to plan and implement a disaster recovery plan for the university, including external campuses
13. Offer support, as necessary, to end users of the software applications developed by the I.T. department, and other university applications when appropriate to do so
14. Work with I.T. team members to make end users of applications written by the I.T. department aware of the features, benefits and uses of applications. Create help files and user manuals as necessary to support the applications and end users of applications written by the programmer
15. Advise and work with end users and IT Team members to resolve specific problems with an application written by the programmer. Assist in making changes to programs, computer applications, and program capabilities, recommend alternative programming approaches, communicate limitations, etc.
16. Write and maintain documentation to describe program development, logic, coding, testing, changes, and corrections
17. Monitor performance of programs after implementation
18. Maintain relationships with end users of programs and I.T. Team members
19. Execute trial runs to verify accuracy and completeness of program; correct errors by making necessary alterations to test programs and processing specifications
20. Assist in the planning, upgrading and testing of applications written by the I.T. department when software affected by the programs is upgraded
21. Maintain existing programs; analyze, review and rewrite programs to increase operating efficiency or to adapt to new requirements
22. Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein
23. Assist in the analysis of specific organizational and procedural problems, and in the design or modification of computer programs to implement computer applications; test and debug new programs to verify their accuracy and completeness
24. Respond to assignments for technical assistance from the Help Desk or Track I.T. database in a timely manner
25. Attend classes, seminars, conferences and review professional literature to enhance knowledge of trends and developments related to programming
26. Cooperate with other I.T. Team members on requests for assistance
27. Complete administrative tasks correctly and on time
28. Attend I.T. department meetings
29. Adhere to all university policies and procedures
The above statements are not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this job. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by the Director of Information Technology & Telecommunication Services.
Bachelor Degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or related field; or industry certification in related field(s).
Experience & Knowledge:
1. Three years of computer programming experience
3. Strong knowledge of database management systems
4. Ability to create and deploy IIS web-based applications
5. Strong knowledge of project planning, programming, user interface design, and deployment.
6. Documentation skills needed
7. Mobile application experience a plus
Skills & Abilities:
1. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables
in situations where only limited standardization exists
2. Ability to read and interpret documents such as procedure manuals, software specifications or programming code
3. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
4. Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing to all levels of technology users and IT Team members
5. Strong organizational skills to be able to organize, prioritize, plan and complete projects in a timely manner in order to adhere to timelines for project completion and meet deadlines. Ability to use time efficiently
6. Willingness to make decisions; exhibit sound and accurate judgment; support and explain reasoning for decisions; include appropriate people in decision-making process; make timely decisions
7. Ability to work with minimal supervision and follow through on commitments
8. Ability to work with a team, and approach others in a tactful manner. Ability to provide excellent customer service to the end users
9. Ability to work with I.T. Team members and end users to coordinate, plan, test and implement programming projects
10. React well under pressure; accept responsibility for own actions
11. Consistently at work and on time
12. Ability to follow instructions and respond to management direction
13. Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness; look for ways to improve and promote quality
14. Adapt to changes in the work environment; manage competing demands; change approach or method to best fit the situation. Able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events
15. Support university’s goals and values
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Employment is subject to an introductory period to monitor employee performance. If hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of hire date to establish their identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Employee must be able and willing to travel.. Must be able to operate a licensed motor vehicle, possess a valid state driver’s license. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driver’s record.
The University: Wayland Baptist University is a four-year liberal arts university. The institution is affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. The Wayland Baptist University System is comprised of the Plainview campus, which is predominately a residential campus, twelve external campuses, and the WBUonline offering courses in a broad range of academic areas.
Learn About Us: Candidates are encouraged to learn more at About Wayland.
Application Procedure: Applications may be submitted online or you may download it from the top of this web page by clicking on Application for Employment.
Interested individuals MUST submit the following information:
1. Letter of Interest
2. Completed University Application of Employment with Faith Statement (Link to Application
3. Current Resume
4. List of Current References
Please send this information to:
Ron Appling, Director of Human Resources
Wayland Baptist University
1900 W. 7th Street, CMB #1274
Plainview, TX 79072
Phone: (806) 291-3451
Fax: (806) 291-1981
Position will remain open until filled
Wayland Baptist University does not illegally discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or genetic information. Under federal law, the university may discriminate on the basis of religion in order to fulfill its mission and purposes.