Academic Advisor/Recruiter - Phoenix
Posting Date: March 7, 2018
Location: Wayland Baptist University (WBU) – Phoenix Campus – Central Park
Supervised By: Assistant Dean/Site Coordinator
Position Classification: Non-exempt
Positions Supervised: None
General Responsibilities: The Academic Advisor/Recruiter serves all Admission Office functions on the Phoenix Campus, including both recruitment and advising. It is essential that advisors build a strong rapport with students and provide prompt, personal assistance. Advisors will guide students through the selection of a degree, and provide them with the necessary tools, ensuring long term success. Advisors must also possess a positive demeanor and have a passion for helping students. They will work closely with other Wayland Baptist University support teams to resolve all inquiries and dilemmas in a timely manner.
Specific Tasks and Duties:
1. Serve as a student advocate to navigate through university policy and procedures
2. Contact new or reentry students, to ensure they are equipped with all necessary tools and information required for a smooth and successful beginning
3. Ensure all relevant matters are appropriately attended to, well in advance of the semester’s start
4. Continuously monitor student accounts to proactively identify possible issues, including, but not limited to: scheduling conflicts, possible academic probation or suspension, and delinquent accounts
5. Advise students regarding educational issues, such as: course and program selection, class scheduling, study habits, and career planning
6. Address community groups, faculty, and staff members to explain available services
7. Assess needs for assistance, such as financial aid or additional education, and refer clients to the appropriate services
8. Conduct follow-up interviews with students to determine if their needs have been met
9. Provide first back up, concerning Registrar functions
10. Develop student degree plans which provide the best solution for long-term goals
11. Assist the Dean, and back up the office staff, to meet the needs of the Phoenix Campus
12. Assist in graduation preparations, and ensure that students are equipped with all information for graduation ceremony procedures
13. Coordinate faculty, staff, and student base installation access for approval with Security Personnel
14. Performing the duties of a CLEP/DSST coordinator, scheduling and administering computer based exams
15. Travel may be required as determined by the Dean
The above statements are not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this job. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by the Executive Director of Admissions and Recruitment.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in business or related field is required
2. Master’s Degree preferred
Experience and Knowledge:
1. Knowledge of how to apply Christian principles in the work place
2. Previous experience as an academic advisor at Wayland Baptist University or comparable institution
Skills and Abilities:
1. Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a team member, and willing
to learn and perform other student services’ functions.
2. Provide a positive example to students by supporting Wayland Baptist University’s mission statement
3. Good time management skills, in order to meet required timelines
4. Excellent planning, organizational, multitasking, case-management, and follow up skills
5. Good attention to detail
6. Self-starter and self-motivated
7. Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), and ability to learn other databases and software utilized by Wayland Baptist University
8. Ability to prioritize
9. Flexibility, and available to work extended hours as needed
10. Exceptional communication skills, with an emphasis in listening
11. Possess an in-depth understanding of, and commitment to, “team” and “servant leadership”
Conditions of Employment:
Employment is subject to an introductory period to monitor employee performance. If hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of hire date to establish their identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Employee must be able and willing to travel and teach at external campuses. Must be able to operate a licensed motor vehicle, have access to a dependable motor vehicle, and possess a valid state driver’s license. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driver’s record.
The University: Wayland Baptist University is a four-year liberal arts university. The institution is affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. The Wayland Baptist University System is comprised of the Plainview campus, which is predominately a residential campus, twelve external campuses, and the WBUonline offering courses in a broad range of academic areas.
Learn About Us: Candidates are encouraged to learn more at About Wayland.
Application Procedure: Applications may be submitted online or you may download it from the top of this web page by clicking on Application for Employment.
Interested individuals MUST submit the following information:
1. Letter of Interest
2. Completed University Application of Employment with Faith Statement (Link to Application
3. Current Resume
4. List of Current References
Please send this information to:
Ron Appling, Director of Human Resources
Wayland Baptist University
1900 W. 7th Street, CMB #1274
Plainview, TX 79072
Phone: (806) 291-3451
Fax: (806) 291-1981
Position will remain open until filled
Wayland Baptist University does not illegally discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or genetic information. Under federal law, the university may discriminate on the basis of religion in order to fulfill its mission and purposes.