Lab Manager and Safety Officer
Posting Date: February 1, 2018
Location: Wayland Baptist University (WBU) – Plainview Campus
Supervised By: School of Mathematics and Sciences
Position Classification: Non-exempt (Part-Time)
Positions Supervised: None
General Responsibilities: The Lab Manager and Safety Officer provides technical laboratory and classroom support services for the School of Mathematics and Sciences. The primary responsibility of this position is to maintain lab inventories and safety equipment. Additional duties include assisting with clerical office work and record keeping for the School of Mathematics and Sciences as well as greeting visitors, assisting faculty and students, and organizing special projects as assigned.
Specific Tasks and Duties:
1. Provide technical support for laboratory, stockroom, and classroom activities.
This task may include supervising student workers
2. Provide equipment and instrumentation technical support by scheduling and/or performing maintenance and repair as needed
3. Coordinate lab safety training for faculty, staff, and student workers and maintain records of training completion
4. Track and maintain laboratory inventory and lab safety equipment in coordination with lab science faculty and dean
5. Assist the School’s Administrative Assistant in requisitioning and ordering lab equipment and resources to support classroom labs and undergraduate research
6. Assist with preparation of routine and special reports, particularly in sections related to facility and classroom needs
7. Work with the School Administrative Assistant to maintain records and financial documents and electronic files
8. Greet visitors and prospective students in a tactful and courteous manner
9. Assist faculty and students with select curriculum-related activities as directed by the Dean
10. Assist with special projects as assigned
The above statements are not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this job. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by the Executive Director of Admissions and Recruitment.
Bachelor’s Degree in Science and/or Mathematics is preferred.
Experience and Knowledge:
1. Past office-related experience is desired
2. Past experience as laboratory assistant/technician is desired
Skills and Abilities:
1. Must know or be willing to learn multiple computer and software applications.
Must already be familiar with Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel,
2. Must be able to accurately prepare complex solutions (e.g., 0.5 Molar NaCl at pH 6.5)
3. Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
4. Must have excellent time-management skills
5. Must be self-motivated and have the ability to think critically
6. Must be able to complete a variety of tasks simultaneously and work within a flexible framework
7. Must be able to work within the School of Mathematics and Sciences faculty/staff “team” and understand and apply the concept of “servant leadership” as it applies to the School of Mathematics and Sciences at Wayland Baptist University
Conditions of Employment:
Employment is subject to an introductory period to monitor employee performance. If hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of hire date to establish their identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Employee must be able and willing to travel and teach at external campuses. Must be able to operate a licensed motor vehicle, have access to a dependable motor vehicle, and possess a valid state driver’s license. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driver’s record.
The University: Wayland Baptist University is a four-year liberal arts university. The institution is affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. The Wayland Baptist University System is comprised of the Plainview campus, which is predominately a residential campus, twelve external campuses, and the WBUonline offering courses in a broad range of academic areas.
Learn About Us: Candidates are encouraged to learn more at About Wayland.
Application Procedure: Applications may be submitted online or you may download it from the top of this web page by clicking on Application for Employment.
Interested individuals MUST submit the following information:
1. Letter of Interest
2. Completed University Application of Employment with Faith Statement (Link to Application
3. Current Resume
4. List of Current References
Please send this information to:
Ron Appling, Director of Human Resources
Wayland Baptist University
1900 W. 7th Street, CMB #1274
Plainview, TX 79072
Phone: (806) 291-3451
Fax: (806) 291-1981
Position will remain open until filled
Wayland Baptist University does not illegally discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or genetic information. Under federal law, the university may discriminate on the basis of religion in order to fulfill its mission and purposes.