Admissions Representative (Two Positions Available)
Posting Date: December 15, 2017
Location: Wayland Baptist University (WBU) – Plainview Campus
Supervised By: Executive Director of Admissions and Recruitment
Position Classification: Exempt (Administrative)
Positions Supervised: Student Workers
General Responsibilities: The Admissions Representative is a professional admissions officer who provides support and representation of Wayland and its admissions and recruiting process in accordance with the mission of the University.
Specific Tasks and Duties:
1. Hires, manages, and evaluates a recruitment team consisting of four (4) part-time student workers. Within the team, the Admissions Representative assigns duties and tasks for the team members to carry out. The student workers duties are directly tied to the support of the Admissions Representative and their effort to effectively recruit for the university
2. Resides in a primary recruiting market (Plainview) to identify and convert prospective students to actual enrolled students
3. Provides information for prospective students and their parents to inform them of admission requirements, financial assistance programs, scholarship eligibility, student life, and other aspects of Wayland
4. Communicates with prospective students on a regular and systematic schedule through a variety of means including but not limited to phone, text, email, notes, and letters.
5. Travels extensively (up to 5 weeks of college fairs during the fall semester and 2-3 weeks during the spring) throughout the market area conducting and /or hosting high school fairs, church visits, fellowships, alumni association meetings, and other conversion activities
6. Make presentations to both groups and individuals in both person and written format.
7. Work with multiple publics in a manner congruent with the mission of the University. These publics include but are not limited to: current students, prospective students, parents of both current and prospective students, alumni, trustees, and other college/university personnel, and various internal personnel
8. Schedules and performs campus tours of the campus to prospective students, parents, and faculty
9. Supports the Recruitment Strategic Planning process for the Admissions Department, which includes developing new initiative for the upcoming recruitment process
10. Responsible for the implementation of preview events, including, but not limited to Home school, Honors, and Transfer students
11. Each Representative is responsible of the implementation, operation and supervision of a particular event as assigned by the Executive Director of Admissions and Recruitment
12. One Representative manages the Pioneer Scholarship Program which includes the authorization to award and distribute money from this scholarship
13. One Representative organizes the Recruitment Teams and assembles and heads the hiring committee. Also provides any required training
14. Assist parents and students with problems as they arise and as the authorization to resolves this issues
15. While recruiting, has the authority to make decision on all matters of significance which includes visiting locations not previous part of the Recruitment Strategic Plan
16. Adheres to guidelines in the University Policy and Procedures Manual
The above statements are not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this job. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by the Executive Director of Admissions and Recruitment.
Education, Certification and License:
Bachelor’s Degree is required
Experience and Knowledge:
Experience in Higher Education with a preference in admissions work is preferred
Skills and Abilities:
1. Effective communication skills both oral and written
2. Dedication to the principles of Evangelical Christianity and active support for the Christian mission and core values of the University
3. Must possess computer skills and be able to work with multiple software platforms to include Microsoft Office, and an SQL based database
4. Organizational skills alertness to detail
5. Strong sense of customer service
6. Organizing and coordinating skills
7. Ability to remain task oriented and goal focused in challenging environment
8. Ability to travel by vehicle or air, locally, statewide and/or out of state.
9. Ability to work a flexible schedule
10. Ability to lift a minimum of 25 lbs.
Conditions of Employment:
Employment is subject to an introductory period to monitor employee performance. If hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of hire date to establish their identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Employee must be able and willing to travel and teach at external campuses. Must be able to operate a licensed motor vehicle, have access to a dependable motor vehicle, and possess a valid state driver’s license. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driver’s record.
The University: Wayland Baptist University is a four-year liberal arts university. The institution is affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. The Wayland Baptist University System is comprised of the Plainview campus, which is predominately a residential campus, twelve external campuses, and the WBUonline offering courses in a broad range of academic areas.
Learn About Us: Candidates are encouraged to learn more at About Wayland.
Application Procedure: Applications may be submitted online or you may download it from the top of this web page by clicking on Application for Employment.
Interested individuals MUST submit the following information:
1. Letter of Interest
2. Completed University Application of Employment with Faith Statement (Link to Application
3. Current Resume
4. List of Current References
Please send this information to:
Ron Appling, Director of Human Resources
Wayland Baptist University
1900 W. 7th Street, CMB #1274
Plainview, TX 79072
Phone: (806) 291-3451
Fax: (806) 291-1981
Position will remain open until filled
Wayland Baptist University does not illegally discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or genetic information. Under federal law, the university may discriminate on the basis of religion in order to fulfill its mission and purposes.