Office Administrator/Academic Advisor
Posting Date: December 15, 2017
Location: Wayland Baptist University (WBU) – Sierra Vista Campus (El Paso Site)
Supervised By: Assistant Dean/Site Coordinator
Position Classification: Non-Exempt (Full-Time)
Positions Supervised: None
General Responsibilities: The Office Administrator/Academic Advisor performs office duties as assigned, including answering phones, greeting/assisting visitors and students, ordering and requisitioning office supplies and equipment, managing student scholarships and awards, and managing mail pickup and distribution. Manages test administration. Assists with registration and graduation duties. Conducts periodic equipment inventories. Prepares various correspondence and reports. Takes payments to assist accounts manager. Provides assistance with any bookstore/merchandise operations for the purpose of ordering, storing, and selling books/merchandise. Provides personal assistance to students regarding degree plan and program requirements. Obtains, analyzes, and conveys information about degree plan requirements and program polices. Communicates with people outside the organization, representing the institution to customers, the public, government, and other external sources, through exchanges information via written, electronic, or in-personal correspondence.
Specific Tasks and Duties:
1. Responsible for all aspects of bookstore operations: ordering and selling textbooks and merchandise, inventory, shipping and receiving
2. Directs administration of or administers tests to students and ensures completed tests are delivered to the appropriate instructor (includes monitoring testing room, processing computer test sheets, and preparing results for instructors)
3. Answers phones and greets/assists visitors and students
4. Assists with registration (duties as assigned)
5. Assists with graduation (duties as assigned)
6. Responsible for accounts payable, credit card reports, and reports pertaining to all outgoing funds
7. Insures that all administrative forms are updated and available for faculty and staff
8. Assists with any office administrative needs including, but not limited to: written correspondence, printing term schedules, printing and copying forms, and sending out invitations for graduation, etc.
9. Monitors needs for office break room and supplies, including purchasing, storing, and keeping supply cabinets neatly organized
10. Responsible for taking payments
11. Counsels individuals to help them understand their educational options from preliminary stages until graduation
12. Counsels students regarding educational issues such as course and program selection, class scheduling, degree completion, etc.
13. Enforces all administration polices and rules governing students
14. Creates sound degree plans according to catalog and degree plan polices
15. Addresses community groups, faculty, and staff members to explain available services
16. Gives group presentations regarding Wayland Degree Programs and attends Education fairs for the purpose of recruiting new students and promoting WBU
17. Responsible to participate in appropriate community events and coordinate community involvement
18. Provides informational assistance, as needed, regarding tuition assistance benefits and financial aid
19. Travel may be required as determined by the Dean
The above statements are not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this job. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by the Assistant Dean/Site Coordinator and Executive Director/Campus Dean.
1. High School Diploma or GED required
2. Bachelor’s Degree preferred
Experience and Knowledge:
1. Knowledge of how to apply Christian principles in the work place is required
2. Office administration experience preferred
Skills and Abilities:
1. Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills
2. An in-depth understanding of, and commitment to, the “team” and “servant leadership” concepts is essential to advancing the Sierra Vista Campus mission
3. Excellent computer skills are required
4. Must be an excellent manager of time
5. Spanish fluency preferred
Conditions of Employment:
Employment is subject to an introductory period to monitor employee performance. If hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of hire date to establish their identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Employee must be able and willing to travel and teach at external campuses. Must be able to operate a licensed motor vehicle, have access to a dependable motor vehicle, and possess a valid state driver’s license. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driver’s record.
The University: Wayland Baptist University is a four-year liberal arts university. The institution is affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. The Wayland Baptist University System is comprised of the Plainview campus, which is predominately a residential campus, twelve external campuses, and the WBUonline offering courses in a broad range of academic areas.
Learn About Us: Candidates are encouraged to learn more at About Wayland.
Application Procedure: Applications may be submitted online or you may download it from the top of this web page by clicking on Application for Employment.
Interested individuals MUST submit the following information:
1. Letter of Interest
2. Completed University Application of Employment with Faith Statement (Link to Application
3. Current Resume
4. List of Current References
Please send this information to:
Ron Appling, Director of Human Resources
Wayland Baptist University
1900 W. 7th Street, CMB #1274
Plainview, TX 79072
Phone: (806) 291-3451
Fax: (806) 291-1981
Position will remain open until filled
Wayland Baptist University does not illegally discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or genetic information. Under federal law, the university may discriminate on the basis of religion in order to fulfill its mission and purposes.