Facility Maintenance/Custodian - Part-Time
Posting Date: October 13, 2017
Number of Positions Available: 3
Location: Wayland Baptist University (WBU) - Lubbock Campus
Supervised By: Information Systems Manager & Facilities Maintenance Administrator
Position Classification: Non-exempt
Positions Supervised: None
General Responsibilities: The Facility Maintenance/Custodian works independently to clean campus facilities to include offices, rest rooms, public areas and meeting spaces. Cleans offices, classrooms, and work areas without disturbing staff/faculty. Attends in-service training and participates in University quality and process improvement initiatives. Follows procedures to ensure the security of inventory and assets such as tools, supplies, equipment, furniture, etc. Demonstrates dependability by following instructions and responding to management direction. Takes responsibility for own actions. Demonstrates quality by being accurate and thorough and continues to look for ways to improve and promote quality. Encourages safety procedures by using equipment and materials properly. Reports potentially unsafe conditions. Complies with all Wayland policies and procedures.
Specific Tasks and Duties:
1. Cleans and maintains all entry areas, interior and exterior entry walks, parking lot and/or storage facilities.
2. Sets up and operates heavy cleaning equipment.
3. Sweeps, mops, washes, strips, waxes and buffs floors and cleans desks, tables, chairs, and removes graffiti from all applicable surfaces.
4. Collects and shreds office paper.
5. Assists other departments in emergency situations as may be directed and within the scope of qualifications and duties.
6. Follows Wayland procedures and standards while working without direct supervision.
7. Promptly notifies administration of any and all unusual situations, unsafe conditions, and/or requests made for unusual or other services not normally performed.
8. Complete minor work orders such as replacing ceiling tiles, filters, light bulbs, patching vinyl, painting, minor repairs to pipe lines, toilets, sinks kitchen, etc.
9. Ensure that assigned equipment is prepared and operational.
10. Maintain front entrance area and street entrance in a clean and presentable manner.
11. Keeps janitorial closet stocked and clean.
12. Maintains housekeeping equipment.
13. Vacuums and shampoos carpets.
14. Performs room set-up as needed.
15. Replaces light bulbs.
16. Cleans light fixtures.
17. Maintains the safety and cleanliness of the exterior of the facility, grounds, etc., to include mowing as needed.
18. Maintains expendable supplies inventory and replenishes supplies in a timely and efficient manner, and minimizes waste.
19. Makes security rounds and checks security of premises in accordance with schedule and reports any and all security violations and/or unusual situations to the campus officer or administration.
20. Collects and removes trash, and disposes in proper receptacles, to include dumpsters and transfers recyclable materials and empties recycling receptacles and sorts contents.
21. Dusts all surfaces and vents, and cleans inside window surfaces.
22. HVAC maintenance.
The above statements are not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this job. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by the Director of Campus Operations.
1. High School Degree or GED equivalent required.
2. Valid driver’s license required.
Experience and Knowledge:
1. One (1) or more year(s) of general building maintenance and repair experience a plus.
2. Knowledge of facility maintenance and cleaning.
Skills and Abilities:
1. Strong communication skills demonstrated by the ability to read and communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
2. Calm demeanor, and ability to interact cordially and professionally with all employees, students, visitors, and vendors.
3. Remains calm and professional during a crisis situation requiring security protocols.
4. Utilizes hand tools and buffer, stripper, mop, buckets, floor shampooer and other related cleaning equipment with fingers and hands.
5. Utilize computer, printer, copier, telephone, calculator, cell phone, 2 way radio, radios, flashlight, etc.
6. Utilizes face shield, masks, gloves, protective clothing, safety glasses, goggles, and other personal protective equipment applicable to the task being performed.
7. Basic reading, writing and math skills.
1. Must be available to work overtime as needed to complete all job duties.
2. May be “on call” on an infrequent basis.
3. Must be available to work in the case of a declared emergency.
4. May be exposed to temperature fluctuations, moderate noise levels, minimal dust, and other chemicals as customarily used in routine facility maintenance operations.
1. Able to stand, walk, bend, reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch regularly. Standing, walking required approximately ninety percent (90%) of shift, with frequent climbing, bending, reaching, stooping, squatting, (kneeling), and lifting objects using back, and some crawling required.
2. Must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds, but may occasionally be required to lift up to 75 pounds as needed.
3. Drive pickup truck, van, and other non-commercially classed vehicles.
1. Frequently exposed to work near moving mechanical parts and outdoor weather conditions.
2. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
3. May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
Conditions of Employment:
Employment is subject to an introductory period to monitor employee performance. If hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of hire date to establish their identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Employee must be able and willing to travel and teach at external campuses. Must be able to operate a licensed motor vehicle, have access to a dependable motor vehicle, and possess a valid state driver’s license. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driver’s record.
The University: Wayland Baptist University is a four-year liberal arts university. The institution is affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. The Wayland Baptist University System is comprised of the Plainview campus, which is predominately a residential campus, twelve external campuses, and the WBUonline offering courses in a broad range of academic areas.
Learn About Us: Candidates are encouraged to learn more at About Wayland.
Application Procedure: Applications may be submitted online or you may download it from the top of this web page by clicking on Application for Employment.
Interested individuals MUST submit the following information:
1. Letter of Interest
2. Completed University Application of Employment with Faith Statement (Link to Application
3. Current Resume
4. List of Current References
Please send this information to:
Ron Appling, Director of Human Resources
Wayland Baptist University - Plainview Campus
1900 W. 7th Street, CMB #1274
Plainview, TX 79072
Phone: (806) 291-3451
Fax: (806) 291-1981
Position will remain open until filled.
Wayland Baptist University does not illegally discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or genetic information. Under federal law, the university may discriminate on the basis of religion in order to fulfill its mission and purposes.