Academic Advisor (Luke AFB Site)
Posting Date: September 8, 2017
Location: Wayland Baptist University (WBU) – Phoenix Campus-Luke Site
Supervised By: Site Coordinator
Positions Supervised: None
General Responsibilities: The Academic Advisor serves all Admission Office functions on the Phoenix Campus-Luke Site. This includes both recruitment and advising functions. Provides personal assistance to students regarding degree plan and program requirements. Obtains information from all relevant sources. Analyzes information provided by students to evaluate and help students choose the best solution. Translates or explains information on degree plan requirements and school policies. Communicates with people outside the organization, representing the organization to customers, the public, government, and other external sources. This information can be exchanged in person, in writing, or by telephone or e-mail. Provides guidance and expert advice on degree plans and policies and procedures to management or other groups on technical systems, or process-related topics.
1. Treat others as you would want to be treated.
2. Advise individuals to help them understand their educational options
3. Advise students regarding educational issues such as course and program selection, class scheduling, school adjustment, study habits, and career planning
4. Address community groups, faculty, and staff members to explain available services
5. Assess needs for assistance such as financial aid, or additional education, and refer clients to the appropriate services
6. Compile and study occupational, educational, and economic information to assist students in determining and carrying out educational objectives
7. Conduct follow-up interviews with students to determine if their needs have been met
8. Provide first back up concerning Registrar functions
9. Enforce all administration policies and rules governing students
10. Assist the Dean and back up the office staff to meet the needs of the Phoenix Campus-Luke Site
11. Coordinates faculty, staff, and student base installation access for approval with Security Personnel
12. Travel may be required as determined by the Dean
The above statements are not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this job. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by the Site Coordinator.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in business or related field is required
2. Master’s Degree preferred
Experience and Knowledge:
1. Knowledge of how to apply Christian principles in the work place is required
2. Previous experience as an academic advisor at Wayland Baptist University or comparable institution
Skills and Abilities:
1. Demonstrate commitment to the mission of the university
2. An in-depth understanding of, and commitment to, the “team” and “servant leadership” concepts are essential to advancing the Phoenix Campus-Luke Site’s mission
3. Excellent computer skills are required
4. Must be an excellent manager of time
5. Must be customer-service centered
6. Possess strong administrative skills
7. Ability to effectively multi-task
8. Possess experience with such computer programs as Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint
9. Must possess exceptional communication skills with an emphasis in listening
10. Must be detail-oriented and have good organizational skills
11. Ability to understand and interpret personnel policies and procedures
12. Ability to prioritize. Flexible and available to work extended hours as needed
13. Ability to follow directions and work cooperatively with others
Conditions of Employment:
Employment is subject to an introductory period to monitor employee performance. If hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of hire date to establish their identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Employee must be able and willing to travel and teach at external campuses. Must be able to operate a licensed motor vehicle, have access to a dependable motor vehicle, and possess a valid state driver’s license. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driver’s record.
The University: Wayland Baptist University is a four-year liberal arts university. The institution is affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. The Wayland Baptist University System is comprised of the Plainview campus, which is predominately a residential campus, twelve external campuses, and the WBUonline offering courses in a broad range of academic areas.
Learn About Us: Candidates are encouraged to learn more at About Wayland.
Application Procedure: Applications may be submitted online or you may download it from the top of this web page by clicking on Application for Employment.
Interested individuals MUST submit the following information:
1. Letter of Interest
2. Completed University Application of Employment with Faith Statement (Link to Application
3. Current Resume
4. List of Current References
Please send this information to:
Ron Appling, Director of Human Resources
Wayland Baptist University - Plainview Campus
1900 W. 7th Street, CMB #1274
Plainview, TX 79072
Phone: (806) 291-3451
Fax: (806) 291-1981
Position will remain open until filled.
Wayland Baptist University does not illegally discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or genetic information. Under federal law, the university may discriminate on the basis of religion in order to fulfill its mission and purposes.