Database Administrator (Information Technology)
Posting Date: March 9, 2016
Location: Wayland Baptist University - Plainview Campus
Office: Information Technology
Supervised By: Director of Information Technology & Telecommunication Services
Responsibilities: The Database Administrator is generally responsible for the operational integrity of the university database management systems, along with providing consultation and assistance to departmental staff and faculty with respect to a wide variety of University software and applications. The Database Administrator will assist in analyzing database needs as they relate to University software, and in recommending appropriate purchases and utilization of University software. Responsibilities include problem analysis, evaluation, and resolution of user reported problems, report generation, as well as configuration, setup, backup and maintenance of the software databases utilized by the University.
Specific Tasks and Duties:
1. Evaluate the performance of the university database management systems on an ongoing basis. Suggest improvements, additions or modifications needed
2. Design and implement data backup strategies and systems that will ensure the preservation of university data and enable servers and databases to be restored in the event of a failure or disaster
3. Evaluate user’s needs relative to database reports and provide assistance to university employees needing those reports by either developing the reports or providing training to the appropriate staff so they can generate the reports
4. Work closely with the programmers to link database data to software applications developed for the university, and to test and implement such software applications
5. Assist the CFO and Business Office as needed during the annual audit process to ensure the required data is available
6. Evaluate user reporting needs and design and develop reports to meet those needs
7. Assist in the planning, upgrading and testing of current software applications and databases used by the University
8. Make and suggest improvements in the existing database setup and use
9. Assist in planning, setup, implementation and of new software and databases for the University
10. Participate with other IT staff in long and short range technology planning and implementing of I.T. services and programs for WBU users within budgetary guidelines
11. Work with the Director of Information Technology and other I.T. team members to plan and implement a disaster recovery plan for the university, including external campuses
12. Offer support and training to end users of the software applications used by the University
13. Advise and work with end users and I.T. team members to resolve specific problems with software applications
14. Monitor performance of databases for software programs used by the University
15. Maintain relationships with end users of programs and I.T. team members
16. Maintain and upgrade existing software program databases
17. Preparation of end-user documentation as necessary, and maintenance of software documentation, licensing, etc
18. Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein
19. Respond to assignments for support or technical assistance from the Help Desk or TrackIT database in a timely manner
20. Attend classes, seminars, conferences and review professional literature to enhance knowledge of the software used by the University
21. Cooperate with other IT Team members on requests for assistance
22. Complete administrative tasks correctly and on time
23. Attend IT department meetings
24. Adhere to all university policies and procedures
The above statements are not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this job. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by the Director of Information Technology & Telecommunication Services.
Qualifications: A commitment of Christian Higher education and in agreement with the purposes and philosophy of Christian higher education as promoted by the Baptist General Convention of Texas in general and Wayland Baptist University in particular.
Education, Certification and License: Bachelor Degree or industry certification in related field(s).
Experience & Knowledge:
1. Three years of database experience
2. Working knowledge of database management systems, especially Microsoft SQL
3. Working knowledge of software applications as they relate to databases
4. Basic accounting knowledge
Skills & Abilities:
1. Ability to read and interpret documents such as procedure manuals and database specifications
2. Thorough knowledge of Microsoft SQL
3. Ability to systematically troubleshoot complex software and database problems
4. Ability to write routine and complex reports utilizing SQL data and industry reporting tools, including Microsoft Access
5. Ability to run SQL queries to extract data for reporting purposes, or to update and/or correct data
6. Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office
7. Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing to all levels of technology users and IT Team members
8. Ability to provide training for faculty and staff on report generation or software applications
9. Strong organizational skills to be able to organize, prioritize, plan and complete projects in a timely manner in order to adhere to timelines for project completion and meet deadlines. Ability to use time efficiently
10. Willingness to make decisions; exhibit sound and accurate judgment; support and explain reasoning for decisions; include appropriate people in decision-making process; make timely decisions
11. Ability to work with minimal supervision and follow through on commitments
12. Ability to work with a team, and approach others in a tactful manner
13. Ability to provide excellent customer service to the end users
14. Ability to work with I.T. team members and end users to coordinate, plan, test and implement software
15. React well under pressure; accept responsibility for own actions
16. Consistently at work and on time. On call when needed
17. Ability to follow instructions and respond to management direction
18. Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness; look for ways to improve and promote quality
19. Must have the ability to maintain confidentiality and adhere to all federal regulations regarding such student, staff and University confidential information, including, but not limited to FERPA and HIPPA regulations
20. Adapt to changes in the work environment; manage competing demands; change approach or method to best fit the situation. Able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events
21. Support university’s goals and values
Must have no delinquent or defaulted Student Loans. A credit check may be conducted to insure the requirement is met.
The University: Wayland Baptist University is a four-year liberal arts university. The institution is affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. The Wayland Baptist University System is comprised of the Plainview campus, which is predominately a residential campus, twelve external campuses, and the Virtual Campus offering courses in a broad range of academic areas.
Learn About Us: Candidates are encouraged to learn more at About Wayland.
Application Procedure: Applications may be submitted online or you may download it from the top of this web page by clicking on Application for Employment.
Interested individuals MUST submit the following information:
1. Letter of Interest
2. Completed University Application of Employment with Faith Statement (Link to Application
3. Current Resume
4. List of Current References
Please send this information to:
Ron Appling, Director of Human Resources
Wayland Baptist University - Plainview Campus
1900 W. 7th Street, CMB #1274
Plainview, TX 79072
Phone: (806) 291-3451
Fax: (806) 291-1981
Position will remain open until filled.
Wayland Baptist University does not illegally discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or genetic information. Under federal law, the university may discriminate on the basis of religion in order to fulfill its mission and purposes.