Financial Aid Specialist (S891) - Financial Aid Office
LOCATION: Wayland Baptist University (WBU) – Plainview Campus
DEPARTMENT: Office of Financial Aid
SUPERVISED BY: Director of Financial Aid
POSITION CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: The Financial Aid Specialist is a primary counselor responsible for communicating financial aid programs and eligibility to students, parents, faculty, and staff. The Financial Aid Specialist is responsible for assisting with the posting of certain student documents as they are received, verification of student/parent financial data, and preparing student files for awarding in accordance with Federal, State, and Institutional awarding policies.
SPECIFIC TASKS AND DUTIES:
- Applicant must have the ability to deal diplomatically with all Wayland Baptist University students and parents.
- Ability to deal diplomatically with faculty and staff across the Wayland system.
- Punctuality, dependability, integrity, honesty and loyalty in the performance of duties are required for the position.
- The applicant will need to be proactive in counseling students and parents on the various financial aid programs and eligibility requirements.
- Assisting the Loan Coordinator with disbursements and reconciliation.
- Monitoring end of term student graduation data for loan borrowers.
- Assisting and maintaining the critical hold records in PowerCampus.
- Assist in training others, particularly student workers.
- The applicant will need to be a positive force in the office by portraying a positive attitude toward other office personnel, both in phone conversation and in greeting students, faculty and staff members.
The above statements are not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this job. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by the Director of Financial Aid.
Education, Certification and License:
Associates Degree in a field of business is preferred or minimum of three (3) years extensive and current office experience.
Experience and Knowledge:
- Progressive office experience, preferably in financial aid.
- Knowledge of the financial aid process and terminology would be extremely helpful.
Skills and Abilities:
- Possess strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Possess strong oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to handle large volume of work during peak processing periods.
- Must have strong computer skills and experience in computer programs such as Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to learn and retain vast amounts of information from a wide variety of sources.
- Meticulous attention to detail is a must.
Must have no delinquent or have defaulted on any Student Loans. A credit check will be conducted to insure the requirement is met.
The University: Wayland Baptist University is a four-year liberal arts university. The institution is affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. The Wayland Baptist University System is comprised of the Plainview campus, which is predominately a residential campus, twelve external campuses, and the WBUonline offering courses in a broad range of academic areas.
Learn About Us: Candidates are encouraged to learn more at About Wayland.
Application Procedure: Applications may be submitted online or you may download it from the top of this web page by clicking on Application for Employment.
Interested individuals MUST submit the following information:
- Letter of Interest
- Completed University Application of Employment with Faith Statement (Link to Application Below): https://www2.wbu.edu/jobapp/empapp.aspx
- Current Resume
- List of Current References
Please send this information to:
Ron Appling, Director of Human Resources
Wayland Baptist University
1900 W. 7th Street, CMB #1274
Plainview, TX 79072
Phone: (806) 291-3451
Fax: (806) 291-1981
Application Deadline: Position will close on May 16, 2019 at 5:00 CST
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: Employment is subject to an introductory period to monitor employee performance. If hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of hire date to establish their identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Employee must be able and willing to travel. Must be able to operate a licensed motor vehicle and possess a valid state driver’s license or have access to reliable transportation. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driver’s record.
Wayland Baptist University does not illegally discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or genetic information. Under federal law, the university may discriminate on the basis of religion in order to fulfill its mission and purposes.