Assistant/Associate Professor of Biology (F154)
LOCATION: Wayland Baptist University (WBU) – Plainview Campus
DEPARTMENT: Department of Biology/School of Mathematics and Sciences
SUPERVISED BY: Dean, Mathematics and Sciences
POSITION CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: The full-time faculty member will work under the supervision of the Dean of the School of Mathematics and Sciences. Primary teaching responsibilities will include some combination of the following courses: introductory biology for majors and non-majors, genetics, cell and molecular biology, developmental biology, biochemistry and upper-level courses in the candidate’s specialty. Commitment to directing undergraduates in student-focused interdisciplinary research programs is important. As a faculty member of WBU he/she will represent the University's academic and spiritual emphasis to the students, faculty, staff, and the community in a manner consistent with the University's mission and purpose.
SPECIFIC TASKS AND DUTIES:
1. Teaching a total of 24 workload hours of introductory biology for majors and non-majors, cell and molecular biology, developmental biology, and biochemistry and other courses as needed per academic year.
2. Maintain a minimum of 10 hours of office hours/week.
3. Advising undergraduate students and assist with registrations and recruiting events.
4. Serve on university, faculty, and school committees; assist with graduations and attend scheduled faculty and staff meetings.
5. Actively engaging in professional development activities.
6. Assist the Dean and faculty members in developing new programs, reporting data, selecting textbooks, and developing syllabi.
7. Mentoring students in appropriate undergraduate-level research projects.
The above statements are not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this job. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by the Dean, School of Mathematics and Sciences or the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
A commitment to and an agreement with the purposes and philosophy of Christian higher education as promoted by the Baptist General Convention of Texas in general and Wayland Baptist University in particular.
Education, Certification and License:
An earned Ph.D. in Cell Biology or Biochemistry, or closely related discipline.
Experience and Knowledge:
Post-doctoral or prior teaching experience preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
1. The ability to teach courses in introductory biology for majors and non-majors, cell and molecular biology, developmental biology and biochemistry.
2. An interest in teaching at a university where teaching excellence is highly valued.
3. A strong Christian commitment, and the willingness to be involved in the life of the university and her students.
4. Should possess an interest in directing student-centered undergraduate research.
5. Fluency in the English language with excellent writing and speaking skills.
1. Endorsement by the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
2. Able to pass Background Checks.
3. Must have no delinquent or defaulted items on Credit Report. A credit check will be conducted to insure the requirement is met
The University: Wayland Baptist University is a four-year liberal arts university. The institution is affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. The Wayland Baptist University System is comprised of the Plainview campus, which is predominately a residential campus, twelve external campuses, and the WBUonline offering courses in a broad range of academic areas.
Learn About Us: Candidates are encouraged to learn more at About Wayland.
Application Procedure: Applications may be submitted online or you may download it from the top of this web page by clicking on Application for Employment.
Interested individuals MUST submit the following information:
1. Completed University Application of Employment with Faith Statement consistentwith Wayland's Christian mission (link to application https://www2.wbu.edu/jobapp/empapp.aspx).
2. Curriculum vitae with cover letter.
3. Copies of transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate academic work.
4. Three professional letters of reference.
Application material may be received electronically or in hard copy form. Please send this information to:
Wayland Baptist University
1900 W. 7th Street, CMB #1274
Plainview, TX 79072
Phone: (806) 291-3451
Fax: (806) 291-1981
Application Deadline: Position will remain open until filled
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: Employment is subject to an introductory period to monitor employee performance. If hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of hire date to establish their identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Employee must be able and willing to travel. Must be able to operate a licensed motor vehicle and possess a valid state driver’s license or have access to reliable transportation. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driver’s record.
Wayland Baptist University does not illegally discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or genetic information. Under federal law, the university may discriminate on the basis of religion in order to fulfill its mission and purposes.