Assistant Professor of Education (Begins January 2018)
Posting Date: August 30, 2017
Location: Wayland Baptist University (WBU) – Plainview Campus
Academic School: Education and Exercise Sports Science
Supervised By: Dean, School of Education
Position Classification: Exempt
Positions Supervised: None
General Responsibilities: A full-time faculty member, the Assistant Professor of Education is primarily responsible for teaching a variety of undergraduate and graduate courses both face-to- face and online.
Specific Tasks and Duties:
1. Prepare and teach (24) semester hours of courses each academic year
2. Maintain a minimum of 10 hours of office hours/week
3. Academically advise undergraduate and graduate students and assist with registrations and recruiting events
4. Assist the Dean and faculty members in developing new programs, reporting data, selecting textbooks, and developing syllabi
5. Attend meetings and serve on University, Faculty, and School Committees; participate in graduations and attend scheduled faculty and staff meetings
The above statements are not a complete list of responsibilities, tasks, and duties performed by employees in this position. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by the Dean of the School of Education and Exercise Sports Science or the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
A commitment to and an agreement with the purposes and philosophy of Christian higher education as promoted by the Baptist General Convention of Texas in general and Wayland Baptist University in particular.
Earned doctorate in Education or a closely related field from a regionally accredited institution of higher education. ABD applicants and applicants with a Master’s degree and willing to complete a doctorate within 5 years’ time may also be considered.
Experience and Knowledge:
Successful applicants will have the following experience or knowledge:
1. Preference will be given to individuals who have experience teaching Education courses in a college or university setting.
2. Preference will be given to applicants with one or more of the following qualifications:
a. additional experience in teaching at the K-12 level in Texas
b. experience with or interest in online course development and/or teaching
c. experience advising students and developing plans
Skills and Abilities:
Successful applicants will have the following skills or abilities:
1. Fluency in the English language with excellent writing and speaking skills;
2. The ability to manage multiple tasks and responsibilities with no direct supervision;
3. Proficiency with computers, technology, and related educational/classroom equipment;
4. A strong interest in teaching and leading in the growth and development of undergraduate students;
5. The ability and desire to apply Christian principles in the workplace.
1. Endorsement by the Vice President of Academic Affairs
2. Able to pass Background Checks
3. Must have no delinquent or defaulted items on Credit Report. A credit check will be conducted to insure the requirement is met
Conditions of Employment:
Employment is subject to an introductory period to monitor employee performance. If hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of hire date to establish their identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Employee must be able and willing to travel and teach at external campuses. Must be able to operate a licensed motor vehicle, have access to a dependable motor vehicle, and possess a valid state driver’s license. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driver’s record.
The University: Wayland Baptist University is a four-year liberal arts university. The institution is affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. The Wayland Baptist University System is comprised of the Plainview campus, which is predominately a residential campus, twelve external campuses, and the WBUonline Campus offering courses in a broad range of academic areas.
Learn About Us: Candidates are encouraged to learn more at About Wayland.
Interested individuals MUST submit the following information:
1. Completed University Application of Employment with Faith Statement consistent with Wayland's Christian mission (link to application https://www2.wbu.edu/jobapp/empapp.aspx)
2. Curriculum vitae with cover letter
3. Copies of transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate academic work
4. Three letters of reference.
Application materials may be submitted electronically or in hard copy form to:
Ron Appling, Director of Human Resources
Wayland Baptist University
1900 W. 7th Street, CMB #689
Plainview, TX 79072
Phone: (806) 291-3451
Fax: (806) 291-1981
Application review will begin September 15, 2017 and will continue until position is filled.
Wayland Baptist University does not illegally discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or genetic information. Under federal law, the university may discriminate on the basis of religion in order to fulfill its mission and purposes.