Assistant Professor of Education - F158
POSTING DATE: November 6, 2019
LOCATION: Wayland Baptist University (WBU) –Lubbock Campus
SUPERVISED BY: Executive Director/Campus Dean
POSITION CLASSIFICATION: Exempt (Teacher)
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: The Assistant Professor of Education will work under the supervision of the Executive Director/Campus Dean. As a faculty member of WBU, this individual will represent the University’s spiritual emphasis to the students, faculty, staff, and the community in a manner consistent with the University’s mission and purpose.
SPECIFIC TASKS AND DUTIES:
1. Teaching undergraduate and graduate courses in Elementary Education - English Language, ESL, arts/reading content and methodology, professional education, supervising pre-service teachers during field experiences.
2. Advising students.
3. Serving on School, Departmental and University committees.
4. Participating in providing service and information to area schools and to the community.
5. Maintaining positive relationships with local school districts, students, faculty, staff, and general constituency of the University.
6. Attend scheduled faculty and staff meetings and participate in graduations.
The above statements are not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this job. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by the Executive Director/Campus Dean, Dean of the School of Education or Executive Vice President/Provost.
1. Earned Doctorate is required.
2. Experience in curriculum and instruction is essential.
3. Must have current teaching certificate.
Experience and Knowledge:
1. At least three years of recent successful educational experience at the K -12 level.
2. Experience and/or credentialing in the area of school counseling is desired. Individuals with appropriate credentialing and experience may receive academic rank as Assistant Professor of Counseling in addition to Assistant Professor of Education.
3. Special consideration will be given to applicants who have successful experience in elementary curriculum, experience with field based college teaching, use of technology in the teaching/learning process, interdisciplinary teaching, and rural and community education.
4. Experience in advising students and developing degree plans.
Skills and Abilities:
1. Written and verbal communication, proficiency with computer software and educational projection equipment.
2. Ability to work collaboratively with University faculty, students, and school district personnel.
3. Candidates must be Christian, committed to academic rigor and willing to invest themselves in the development of students and the division of education.
1. Endorsement by the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
2. Able to pass Background Checks.
3. Must have no delinquent or defaulted items on Credit Report. A credit check will be conducted to insure the requirement is met.
THE UNIVERSITY: Wayland Baptist University is a four-year liberal arts university. The institution is affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. The Wayland Baptist University System is comprised of the Plainview campus, which is predominately a residential campus, twelve external campuses, and the WBUonline Campus offering courses in a broad range of academic areas.
Learn About Us: Candidates are encouraged to learn more at About Wayland by visiting our About section of our website at https://www.wbu.edu/about/index.htm.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Applications may be submitted by downloading it from the top of this web page by clicking on Application for Employment.
Interested individuals MUST submit the following information:
1. Completed University Application of Employment with Faith Statement consistent with Wayland's Christian mission: https://www.wbu.edu/about/employment/documents/Application-for-employment-addition.pdf
2. Curriculum vitae with cover letter
3. Copies of transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate academic work
4. Three professional letters of reference.
Application materials may be submitted electronically or in hard copy form to:
Ron Appling, Director of Human Resources
Wayland Baptist University
1900 W. 7th Street, CMB #1274
Plainview, TX 79072
Phone: (806) 291-3451
Fax: (806) 291-1981
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Position will remain open until filled
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: Employment is subject to an introductory period to monitor employee performance. If hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of hire date to establish their identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Employee must be able and willing to travel. Must be able to operate a licensed motor vehicle and possess a valid state driver’s license or have access to reliable transportation. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driver’s record.
Wayland Baptist University does not illegally discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or genetic information. Under federal law, the university may discriminate on the basis of religion in order to fulfill its mission and purposes.