Director of Human Resources - A38
POSTING DATE: February 14, 2020
LOCATION: Wayland Baptist University – Plainview Campus
SUPERVISED BY: Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
CLASSIFICATION: Exempt (Executive)
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: Human Resources staff
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: The Director of Human Resources provides leadership in developing university wide human resource (HR) related strategies to attract, build, promote, develop and retain a diverse and highly competent workforce, including professional HR support (e.g., recruitment, appointments, separations, performance management, recognition, career development, training, etc.). The Director also ensures that employees across the organization are properly trained and oriented with regard to HR related practices, processes and procedures.
SPECIFIC TASKS AND DUTIES:
1. Manage, supervise and coordinate the daily operations of the Office of Human Resources;
2. Plan and organize all activities of the office which include recruiting, benefits, retirement, payroll, communications and data management;
3. Serve as a resource to the campus community on human resource issues through effective communication of human resource policies, processes and procedures;
4. Conduct reviews and make recommendations for improvement of university personnel policies, procedures, and practices;
5. Maintain knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation; ensure university compliance with Federal and State regulations pertaining to all personnel matters; provide training on human resources regulations affecting the university and advise management on needed actions;
6. Analyze employment needs and develop plans of action to assist managers with various employment matters;
7. Oversee the recruitment process which includes the following:
a. Job description creation, revision, and review
b. Post jobs both internally and externally for all WBU positions
c. Disseminate submitted applications for employment to hiring supervisors in a timely manner
d. Assist with interview process when requested
e. Complete pre-employment background checks
f. Recommend action if application information has been falsified or items of concerns are identified through background check:
8. Oversee the onboarding process which includes the following:
a. Provide new employee orientation
b. Ensure new employee paperwork has been completed correctly and returned in a timely manner
c. Inform various university parties of new employees, terminations and other status changes
9. Oversee the online performance appraisal process; review and track performance appraisal process, and provide reports as requested. Consult with supervisors on employee appraisals and salary compensation;
10. Maintain all personnel records and ensure consistent and confidential personnel record keeping across the WBU system;
11. Ensure all administration, faculty, and staff follow appropriate employee grievance procedures;
12. Conduct investigations regarding personnel matters as appropriate;
13. Responsible to ensure all State and Federal Labor Laws posters are current and properly displayed for employees and potential employees to view at all WBU campuses;
14. Responsible for replying to all charges of possible discrimination or unlawful employment practices brought to the WBU by such organizations as the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission (EEOC);
15. Prepare and monitor the annual department budget in accordance with established university policies and procedures;
16. Develop strategic planning goals and objectives for human resources in conjunction with the university’s strategic plan;
17. Participate on committees and special projects when requested.
The above statements are not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this job. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Management, Human Resources or related field is required
Human Resource Management certification or progress toward certification such as SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP is strongly preferred
Experience and Knowledge:
Five (5) years of progress experience in the Human Resources.
Skills and Abilities:
1. Excellent oral, written, analytical and interpersonal communication skills
2. Thorough knowledge of university personnel policies and procedures and able to provide guidance and interpretation to university personnel as needed
3. Strong management and leadership skills to lead a positive and effective team
4. Independent problem solving, self-direction, and strong time management skills
5. Able to collaborate with others across the university community
6. Skilled with industry technology including word processing, spreadsheets databases and PowerPoint; a working knowledge of software is preferred, including Great Plains
7. Ability to work under pressure and prioritize duties
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Employment is subject to an introductory period to monitor employee performance. If hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of hire date to establish their identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Employee must be able and willing to travel to WBU’s external campuses. Must be able to operate a licensed motor vehicle, have access to a dependable motor vehicle, and possess a valid state driver’s license. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driver’s record.
Wayland Baptist University is a liberal arts university affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas/Texas Baptists. The Wayland Baptist University System is comprised of the Plainview campus, which is predominately a residential campus, twelve external campuses, and WBUonline, and offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in a broad range of academic areas.
Learn About Us: Candidates are encouraged to learn more at About Wayland by visiting our About section of our website at https://www.wbu.edu/about/index.htm.
Applications may be submitted online or you may download it from the top of this web page by clicking on Application for Employment.
Interested individuals MUST submit the following information:
1. Letter of Interest
2. Completed University Application of Employment with Faith Statement (Link to Application Below):https://www.wbu.edu/about/employment/documents/Application-for-employment-addition.pdf
3. Current Resume
4. List of Current References
Please send this information to:
Elizabeth Hudspeth, Interim Director of Human Resources
Wayland Baptist University
1900 W. 7th Street, CMB #1274
Plainview, TX 79072
Phone: (806) 291-3451
Fax: (806) 291-1981
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Position will remain open until filled.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Employment is subject to an introductory period to monitor employee performance. If hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of hire date to establish their identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Employee must be able and willing to travel. Must be able to operate a licensed motor vehicle and possess a valid state driver’s license or have access to reliable transportation. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driver’s record.
Wayland Baptist University does not illegally discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or genetic information. Under federal law, the university may discriminate on the basis of religion in order to fulfill its mission and purposes.