A 90-100
B 80-89
C 70-79
D 60-69
F Below 60


Other symbols used for grading include:
CR Credit Satisfactory, but without qualitative grading.
NCR No credit Unsatisfactory, but without qualitative grading.
I Incomplete May be given to a student who is passing, but has not completed a term paper, examination, or other required work for reasons beyond the student's control.
IP In progress Assigned to a course indicating that at the conclusion of the term the course was still in progress.
X No grade No grade has been submitted by the instructor. The course grade which will replace the X must be submitted within 30 days from the beginning of the next full term.
W Withdrawal Course dropped or withdrawal from the University, see change of Schedule and Withdrawal from the University.
WP Withdraw Course dropped or withdrawal from the University passing after deadline to withdraw with a W and prior deadline to withdraw with a WP or WF, see Change of Schedule
and Withdrawal from the University.
WF Withdraw Course dropped or withdrawal from the University failing after deadline to withdraw with a W and prior to deadline to withdraw with a WP or WF, see Change of Schedule
and Withdrawal from the University.

Change of Grade - A change of grade (among the values A, B, C, D, F) may occur if there has been an error in computation or recording of the grade, or if a change has been
ordered as a result of the grade appeal process. A grade may not be changed because of consideration of work completed following the end of the grading period for which the grade was issued. The change is initiated by the instructor of record and approved by the provost/academic vice president. For such a change to be valid, it must be submitted to the university registrar on or before the last day of the term following the term in which the grade was originally issued, and on the form provided for that purpose.

Removing the Grade of Incomplete - A grade of incomplete is changed if the work
required is completed prior to the end of the next regular academic term, unless the instructor designates an earlier date for completion. If the work is not completed by the appropriate date, the I is converted to the grade of F. An incomplete notation cannot remain on the student's permanent record and must be replaced by the qualitative grade (A-F) by the date specified in the official university calendar of the next regular term.

Academic Honesty - Graduate students are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with the highest standards of academic honesty. Academic misconduct for which a student is subject to penalty includes all forms of cheating, such as illicit possession of examinations or examination materials, forgery, or plagiarism. (Plagiarism is the presentation of the work of another as one's own work.)

Disciplinary action for academic misconduct is the responsibility of the faculty member
assigned to the course. The faculty member is charged with assessing the gravity of any case of academic dishonesty and with giving sanctions to any student involved.
Penalties that may be applied to individual cases of academic dishonesty include one or
more of the following:

1. Written reprimand.
2. Requirement to redo work in question.
3. Requirement to submit additional work.
4. Lowering of grade on work in question.
5. Assigning the grade of F to work in question.
6. Assigning the grade of F for course.
7. Recommendation for more severe punishment, see Student Handbook for
further information.

The faculty member involved will file a record of the offense and the punishment imposed
with the provost/academic vice president. The provost/academic vice president will maintain records of all cases of academic dishonesty reported.

Any student who has been penalized for academic dishonesty has the right to appeal the
judgment or the penalty assessed. The appeals procedure will be the same as that specified for grade appeals, see Student Handbook for further information.

Academic Probation and Suspension - A student is placed on academic probation
when the cumulative GPA falls below 3.00 or a grade of D is received. GPA is calculated from the initial point of enrollment in Wayland graduate course work. Leveling courses are not included in calculating graduate GPA. It is recommended that courses with grade below a C be repeated as soon as possible to avoid academic suspension. A student whose GPA remains below 3.00 for two consecutive regular terms or who receives a grade of F is suspended from the graduate program for at least one year. For the purposes of this policy, compressed format summer terms are combined into a single term, and the may micro term is considered part of the spring term. To be reinstated to a degree program, the student must reapply to the graduate program, appeal in writing, and be approved by the graduate admissions committee. Wayland's graduate program will honor the probation or suspension imposed by other institutions.

Minimum Academic Standards for Students Receiving VA Educational Benefits - A student receiving VA educational benefits is subject to the same provisions for academic probation and suspension described above. A student who receives an F or fails to achieve a 3.00 cumulative GPA at the end of the probationary period shall be reported to the VARO as making unsatisfactory progress and may become ineligible to receive further VA benefits until the cumulative GPA is 3.00 or better.


Graduate Student toll free number: 1-877-844-4544
Email us