What is SafeAssign and how do I use it?


Submitting Safe Assignments

Documents can be submitted to SafeAssignment by any student that is enrolled in a corresponding course.

1. To submit a document, a student should log-in to the Blackboard system and go to the corresponding course page. Then click the "Assignments" hlink on the left navigation menu to see all assignments available for submission.

2. To submit a document to a particular Safe Assignment, click the "Complete" link below the corresponding assignment. You will see the Safe Assignment Upload Form, which is almost identical to a standard Blackboard assignment upload form.

3. Enter any necessary comments concerning the material being submitted and click the "Browse" button to select the file for upload. After selecting the proper file click the "Submit" button to upload the document.

IMPORTANT: The current version of SafeAssignment plug-in supports only three types of uploaded files: Microsoft Word Document (.doc), Rich Text Format (.rtf), HTML and plain text (.txt) files. All other file types will not be processed.

Viewing SafeAssignment Originality Report

1. After you, as a student, submit your paper to a Safe Assignment, the link under the corresponding assignment will change its label from "Complete" to "View/Complete".

2. After clicking on the "View/Complete" link, you will see a table showing the plagiarism score of your paper, the link to the originally submitted file, the link to the plagiarism detection report, and the comment text that was entered in the submission form. Please note that the Plagiarism Score and Checked Content link become available only after your paper is processed.

Interpreting Scores

A.  Sentence Matching Scores:

Sentence matching scores are the percentage probability that two sentences have the same meaning. This number can also be interpreted as the reciprocal to the probability that these two sentences are similar by chance. For example, score of 90% means that there is 90% probability that these two sentences are the same, and about 10% probability that they are similar by chance (not because of plagiarism).

B.  Overall Matching Score:

Overall matching score is basically an average of all sentence scores, weighted by a) the length of the sentence; b) the "commonness" of the sentence (calculated based on the average typical frequency of usage of the words from the sentence). This score does not have a simple statistical definition. It is just very highly correlated with a) the probability that there is some text matching other documents in the paper; b) the amount of matching text in the document. Please note that matching (highlighted) text should not be considered plagiarism by default.

In general, this score should be treated as a warning indicator. We strongly recommend reviewing all reports with high Overall Matching Scores. For analysis of matching scores, the following interpretation scale should be used:

  1. Scores below 15% usually papers with such scores contain some quotes and few "typical" phrases that match other documents. In most cases, they do not require any further analysis, and there is no evidence of plagiarism in the report.

  1. Scores between 15% and 40% papers with such scores can contain plagiarism or can have just too much quoted material. We usually recommend reviewing the reports with such scores before making any judgments about the papers.

  1. Scores over 40% with such scores, there is almost 100% probability that the papers contains some text copied from elsewhere, and, even if this text is properly cited, such amount of cited material is considered excessive in most cases. Therefore, such scores give a clear warning to instructors. However, there are few cases when such scores can be given to authentic papers, for example, when the paper was legitimately published online before it was sent for processing (instructors have just to "Delete" the source pointing to the legitimate copy), or when the same student has already submitted this paper or a similar paper to another class (it is not plagiarism, but such practice is not allowed in some institutions).